Finally lifting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, last few questions...

I dont want to have to deal with dismantling the old strut assembly at all. What parts do I need so I dont have to do that? Strut mount obviously, with upper isolater. Was thinking about Monroe for this (decent price on RockAuto). I think I will need the lower isolator as well, but is their any type of "perch" I need for the lower portion? Or a boot?

Also going to be doing the clevis lift and rear iso lift. So grabbing a couple conduit nuts and a pair of upper rear isolators and I should be good right?

You'll need the top mount which should come with a new iso, then new iso for the bottom, everything else comes with the shocks
If doing clevis then do 3/8 inch ( 3 conduit nuts per side ) plus one upper on each side in the rear
Do you have the bumpstops as well ?
Teraflex for the front
2 hockey pucks per side in the rear

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need the top mount which should come with a new iso, then new iso for the bottom, everything else comes with the shocks
If doing clevis then do 3/8 inch ( 3 conduit nuts per side ) plus one upper on each side in the rear
Do you have the bumpstops as well ?
Teraflex for the front
2 hockey pucks per side in the rear

Thanks. I updated my first post with everything I've ordered so far. Is 3 nuts still okay if im just using the factory upper a arms?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I updated my first post with everything I've ordered so far. Is 3 nuts still okay if im just using the factory upper a arms?

With the 2.5 you'll get from the springs plus the 3/8 inch from the clevis you'll be just over 3 inches when new, after settling in should be right about 3 so should be fine with stock arms. If a little worried just do a 1/4 inch clevis and be at 3 inches new ( before settling in ) But I'd go for 3/8 inch, ran over that with stock arms before there ever were JBA UCAs

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My dude at TireMan can't compress the spring enough to get the strut mount bolted :/

:happy175:Yes that sounds like Mr. Tire
They told me after I lifted mine that there was no way at all to properly align a lifted KJ

Go to
Larry Stuarts Car Care  
Address: 3082 Airport Hwy, Toledo, OH 43609
Phone: (419) 389-0707
Hours: Open today · 8AM–5:30PM

tell them Tom with the black KJ that used to come in ( and bring in lots of freinds ) sent you
They will do it right alignments/ spring compressing etc
They did like over 20-25 sets for me even 790s

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That *****..
Try to find a Monro Muffler and Brake around you
I took mine there and they were able to compress the old and assemble the new for about $80 I believe
Since you already have them disassembled and only need them assembled I'm sure they'd only charge you around $40
Or just call around to a few small shops that have compressors and take them there

*Do what he said ^^
Lol you guys live in the same area so he knows where to go

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:happy175:Yes that sounds like Mr. Tire
They told me after I lifted mine that there was no way at all to properly align a lifted KJ

Go to
Larry Stuarts Car Care  
Address: 3082 Airport Hwy, Toledo, OH 43609
Phone: (419) 389-0707
Hours: Open today · 8AM–5:30PM

tell them Tom with the black KJ that used to come in ( and bring in lots of freinds ) sent you
They will do it right alignments/ spring compressing etc
They did like over 20-25 sets for me even 790s

I am friends with a few guys at my tireman, they take good care of me. Just don't have a beefy enough spring compressor :) Their machine broke. Apparently they don't do it anymore.

Last edited:

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took them to my local Ford dealer. I figured if they can handle super duties, springs for a Liberty shouldn't be too much trouble.

I will say that after seeing the spring it's hard to believe that these are going to make the jeep ride better.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's kind of a different experience for each individual
They are STIFF springs without a doubt
People say they just stiffen the ride but me personally, they are way too stiff
I would NEVER get a spring stiffer than these and couldn't imagine it honestly
Believe me, I don't regret lifting my KJ whatsoever, but every little bump I hit my whole jeep bounces everywhere like I'm on a teeter-totter
It absorbes the bumps and stuff slightly better, but I have a more pronounced bounce now than I did before
I feel like the only way to get a nice new-feeling ride that absorbes the bumps and makes you feel like you're driving on a cloud is to get the JBA adjust-a-struts
But then you're looking at around $1,500 just for the front
Not worth it IMO considering these are so old

The only thing I don't like about it is the bouncing and feeling like I'm not firm on the ground
What I noticed with the new springs is you have a more intense bounce but it stops quicker than before, where you'd bounce and keep bouncing as you went down the road
I think once I get bigger tires it'll help with the sway and it'll feel tighter in turns but at the moment I get worried about something happening
You feel EVERY little thing on the road with how stiff these are

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I took them to my local Ford dealer. I figured if they can handle super duties, springs for a Liberty shouldn't be too much trouble.

I will say that after seeing the spring it's hard to believe that these are going to make the jeep ride better.

Its one thing to see them compressed But once you put the weight of a KJ down on them makes a huge difference
You only went with 927s rated at 400 lb, I ran 790s rated at 500 lb for a good while, rode great. Give them a couple of weeks and when they get broke in you'll see how much better they are

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It's kind of a different experience for each individual
They are STIFF springs without a doubt
People say they just stiffen the ride but me personally, they are way too stiff
I would NEVER get a spring stiffer than these and couldn't imagine it honestly
Believe me, I don't regret lifting my KJ whatsoever, but every little bump I hit my whole jeep bounces everywhere like I'm on a teeter-totter
It absorbes the bumps and stuff slightly better, but I have a more pronounced bounce now than I did before
I feel like the only way to get a nice new-feeling ride that absorbes the bumps and makes you feel like you're driving on a cloud is to get the JBA adjust-a-struts
But then you're looking at around $1,500 just for the front
Not worth it IMO considering these are so old

The only thing I don't like about it is the bouncing and feeling like I'm not firm on the ground
What I noticed with the new springs is you have a more intense bounce but it stops quicker than before, where you'd bounce and keep bouncing as you went down the road
I think once I get bigger tires it'll help with the sway and it'll feel tighter in turns but at the moment I get worried about something happening
You feel EVERY little thing on the road with how stiff these are

You haven't had yours on long enough to get them broke and settled in good yet. You need a day of off roading , twisting them up and after that a week and you'll love them.

JBA coilovers are worth every penny, no matter how old they are ,
funny a buddy called me last night to go down and setup a coilover suspension on a 62 Chevy, thats even older than the KJs

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would've figured having them in for nearly 3 months of driving it every day and also taking 500-1k mile drives they'd be broken in
I don't bother off-roading because even going over big pot holes and ruts my steering wheel jerks side to side
It just doesn't feel as tight as it used to after lifting and I couldn't imagine driving off-road

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I don't bother off-roading because even going over big pot holes and ruts my steering wheel jerks side to side...
Drive around downtown Cleveland. You'll get all the rock climbing you can handle.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh believe me, the roads around here are TERRIBLE
They are so cheap they go around and patch the pot holes then 2 months later it's all cracked and starts breaking apart into big chunks of asphalt and gets just as bad as it was before or worse

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford for the win. $43 bucks.

You must be registered for see images attach

"Your f450 springs are done"