Finally... A plug change...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed mine for the first time about a month ago. They looked pretty much like yours. It makes you wonder how they lit.

Mine like yours runs a lot better now :)

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when I replaced mine at around 73k they looked a lot like yours... probably a little worse.

Awww KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I did them at 32k mi. on the '07. I noticed the easier start-up too.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting the way they wore. I would have thought that they would all look pretty much the same....go figure. The good thing is that they are cheap, relatively easy to change, and make a noticeable difference.
Bruce

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
kb, my OEM NGK plugs looked like yours after only 30,000 miles when I changed them. I also noticed smoother ideling/running and a return to the new vehicle gas mileage (which is nothing to brag about...haha)

When I get around to it I am going to pull #1 and see what it looks like out of curiosity. At least they are not hard to change. If I don't like what I see I will try the Autolite double platinums.

Dave

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Yupp mine looks just like yours and that number 3 on the pass. side was a ***** but i remove the tank above it and had it out and changed in now time!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems the NGK's wear pretty fast, though i believe they are just standard copper's right? The platinums should wear a lot slower. I also noticed a boost in mileage and can't complain about that!

Easy except for one plug... We all know which one that is.... lol

Yeah, I put NGK's in. They were less than $20 for 6. I want to try the platinums next so we'll see.

I moved the coolant tank and the bolts were 10mm...same as the coil pak bolts. I snapped a 12" extension into a 6" extension and used a flex spark plug socket for #6. Even so I had to stretch a little as I was trying to be carefull not to do any cross-threading on the aluminum head and that's why I moved the tank. Next time I won't. Seems like it took me as long to change #6 as it took me to do the other 5.

Dave

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped the NGK plugs to Autolite Double Platinum plugs this past weekend. Very very easy to do.

I don't get why some ***** about that last plug on the passenger side, just move the coolant tank out of the way. No need for any special swivels. I just used a 12 inch extension with the spark plug socket at the end.

L

lil black liberty

Got some nice weather finally to give the KJ some love... New plugs!

Original NGK plugs with 53k on them, they were out to .060-.065, replaced with new Autolite Platinums, AP3923. Idle is smoother, and it even starts quicker if you know what i mean, shorter crank before hearing it fire.

I found it interesting how they all wore differently... Some have an angle to them, some are just flat, some are just rounded. As you can see in the pics its been needed for a while, just couldn't get it done with all the snowy and rainy days and no garage.

Damn were they in there tight, yes the engine was cold. And that rear passenger side plug is a PITA, but it went ok. Just had to borrow a swivel from a friend, mine broke a couple weeks ago and forgot to get a new one. Also got to break in the new air compressor to blow the dirt off the engine and then out of the plug holes before plug removal.

Just curious but did you get the right plugs? the Autolite Platinums for the KJ should have been the AP5224 series.. Gap at .040

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious but did you get the right plugs? the Autolite Platinums for the KJ should have been the AP5224 series.. Gap at .040
The AP3923 are platinum plugs for the 02-04 KJ. The 5224 series are from 05-07. But either work from what I've read. I just went with the 5224 because they are for my year and they are available in double platinum

L

lil black liberty

Ah didn't know there was a difference from the 02-04 and 05-07 interesting.. I'll keep that in mind... Also has anyone heard of Pulstar Spark Plugs? you get two for 24.95 at Autozone.. They claim to be 10X stronger than a regular spark plug.. I dunno..

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah didn't know there was a difference from the 02-04 and 05-07 interesting.. I'll keep that in mind... Also has anyone heard of Pulstar Spark Plugs? you get two for 24.95 at Autozone.. They claim to be 10X stronger than a regular spark plug.. I dunno..
Probably the same crap as the E3 plugs. Stay away

L

lil black liberty

Lol oh believe me because I am Autolite all the way.. I've used them for quite sometime now! I'm on my 2nd set..

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Autolite Double Platinums are nice- been running strong on my first set for over 2 years now. Don't forget to paint the threads with a little high temperature grease like Lock-Cease or something similar (rated to 1600F and designed for use on spark plug threads.) That will make them easier to break loose when you change them out later.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I changed them out for the first time I have owned her a couple weeks ago, Used the autolite Double platinums, take a look at the picture....can you guess which plug was the #6 and probably never changed?

Attachments

• Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 25

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here... You can see two of them are worn with a slant to the tip, one side is gone all the way down to the insulator and the other side is still fairly high. And then most of the others are just flat across or rounded.
That is caused by how the plug sat in the combustion chamber.Indexing the plugs will show the exact same wear for each cylinder(if no misfires or mechanical damage is done) when you change them.