Fill up and the jeep dies wont idel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Ok I have been trying to figure out what valve or evap system malfunction Im having. 04 3.7 liberty if you leave the vehicle running. And top it off with gas it kills the engine makes it hard tostart and won't idel till the fule leavel lowers .Any one able to point me in the right direction?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is a pressurized system.
If you leave it running then open the gas cap, you are asking for a trouble code.
Do you have an engine light on?

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take a look at the purge valve - I see lots of them when they fail they fail open and will suck fuel in from the gas tank when it is full. And that causes drivability issues as now it is running rich.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
I was assuming it was something of that nature and I'm sure your right because it is definitely getting fule when it dies or floods out more like it. Because it's when fule is in the filler neck. Is when the issue was noticeable i had just made sure not to top it off. .That and the fact it was parked 7 or 8 years didn't help things like vaccum valves and hoses. Thanks for the info. Is the valve serviceable or just a throw a way part lik most things theses days?

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was assuming it was something of that nature and I'm sure your right because it is definitely getting fule when it dies or floods out more like it. Because it's when fule is in the filler neck. Is when the issue was noticeable i had just made sure not to top it off. .That and the fact it was parked 7 or 8 years didn't help things like vaccum valves and hoses. Thanks for the info. Is the valve serviceable or just a throw a way part lik most things theses days?
Ya - the valve is not serviceable - a good quick check is to unplug the electrical connector and then with the truck running see if you have vacuum on the outlet of the valve that goes to the gas tank. Should be no vacuum there.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Ya - the valve is not serviceable - a good quick check is to unplug the electrical connector and then with the truck running see if you have vacuum on the outlet of the valve that goes to the gas tank. Should be no vacuum there.
OK I'll check that out after I get the dash back together. I had the pleasure of changing out the heater core today. But at this point it almost has to be the purge valve. Because it's only when it is full and you turn a corner or you over fill it that it occurs and there isn't a code for it. Thasks for the information. It will definitely make life easier having a starting point.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Well with it unplugged there is no vacuum. I guess the valve is good. And Im back to square one.