Fifth Jeep. First Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burro II

Reaction score
My 96 Cherokee 2 door got crushed in a tree fall. Storm Damage.

Found replacement. A 2006 Liberty Sport 3.7L, Auto, Command Trac 4wd.

New to Liberty world. I understand Jeep added lots of subtle features by 2006. So I have some questions:

1. What exactly is Electronic Stability Program? And it's mystery button on the steering column. Is it appreciated, or is it just a sales tart?

2. Anti-Lock Brakes. OK, the Cherokee had 'em too. And we all disconnected them because they suck. Are they better on the Liberty?

3. What is All-Speed Traction Control (TCS)? Is it hardware? Software? Worth it? Does is resolve real issues, or just take the driver out of the driving experience?

4. And how about four-wheel Brake Traction Control System (BTCS). On most vehicles proper driver skills operating the brake pedal seems to do this just fine. What is wrong with the Liberty that it needs this?

5. Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM). Hmmm. Does the Liberty have a hard time keeping it's shiny side up? ERM sounds more like a substitution for basic driver awareness and skill. What does ERM do and how well does it do it?

6. Brake Assist? Is this just marketing gibberish for "power brakes"? Or is it some new gimmick?

OK, so I'm a bit old skool and maybe I should take off the "Trail Rated" badge and put a "Mall Rated" badge on the Liberty.

Take my humor and give me some feedback! Just here trying to learn a thing or two.

Thanks

Burro II

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My 96 Cherokee 2 door got crushed in a tree fall. Storm Damage.

Found replacement. A 2006 Liberty Sport 3.7L, Auto, Command Trac 4wd.

New to Liberty world. I understand Jeep added lots of subtle features by 2006. So I have some questions:

1. What exactly is Electronic Stability Program? And it's mystery button on the steering column. Is it appreciated, or is it just a sales tart?

2. Anti-Lock Brakes. OK, the Cherokee had 'em too. And we all disconnected them because they suck. Are they better on the Liberty?

3. What is All-Speed Traction Control (TCS)? Is it hardware? Software? Worth it? Does is resolve real issues, or just take the driver out of the driving experience?

4. And how about four-wheel Brake Traction Control System (BTCS). On most vehicles proper driver skills operating the brake pedal seems to do this just fine. What is wrong with the Liberty that it needs this?

5. Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM). Hmmm. Does the Liberty have a hard time keeping it's shiny side up? ERM sounds more like a substitution for basic driver awareness and skill. What does ERM do and how well does it do it?

6. Brake Assist? Is this just marketing gibberish for "power brakes"? Or is it some new gimmick?

OK, so I'm a bit old skool and maybe I should take off the "Trail Rated" badge and put a "Mall Rated" badge on the Liberty.

Take my humor and give me some feedback! Just here trying to learn a thing or two.

Thanks

Burro II

Welcome
All of the things you describe are the reason I only own ones from 02-05 ( currently own an 03 lifted/ regeared , 31s etc , 04 I bought new lifted, regeared on 32s, and an 05 stock

But someone will jump in and help you on all that " new stuff" :happy175:

Good luck

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome
All of the things you describe are the reason I only own ones from 02-05 ( currently own an 03 lifted/ regeared , 31s etc , 04 I bought new lifted, regeared on 32s, and an 05 stock

But someone will jump in and help you on all that " new stuff" :happy175:

Good luck

Agreed, but also probably one of the reasons my daughter rolled our '02. Not making excuses for her, I still believe she was going just a tad too fast for the conditions, however I will never know. such is life. It was a slow, 180* roll, just as the vehicle was coming to a stop in deep snow in the ditch, just enough to total it.

When I drive any of our vehicles with such features, I try and turn off as many as I can.

Bert

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bert. I downloaded the owners manual. Over 400 pages. Will be going through it this weekend. Hopefully it is instructive to that end.

Thanks

It should be in there. You can never completely turn them off 100%, but does offer you a little more control over the vehicle.

Bert

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like driving my 06 Renegade in the snow, hard packed snow as it is really stable
I had an 03 Pontiac Sunfire and the ESP was garbage, the anti lock brakes were ok but sometimes you have to get off the brake and hit the gas to make the corner, that is true even with the Liberty

The four-wheel Brake Traction Control System applies some braking on a spinning tire, I think it is a poor mans limited slip but it does help

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums as well.
I am sure glad my 04 has only the basics, as it can get expensive to repair all the ABS/ Traction control ++ stuff.
I also like the fact that if I have to power out of mud or snow, that none of the electronic nanny's are going to limit revs either.

Latest posts

Members online