Few questions about off road tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I went to take a look at the BFG TA's and while they look like real good tires I seen some mud tires. The BFG Mud-Terrain TA's caught my eye.

So I have a few questions about tires like this.

Are they really that much louder than an AT tire?
Do they really get a lot worse gas mileage?
How do they handle in they city?
What "mud tires" do you guys recommend me look into?

Thanks

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always liked the Goodyear MT/R the best....a friend of mine had a set that worked great, a little louder than normal but not unbearable. Not to mention that they're one of the coolest looking tires ever IMO.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check these out. Do they handle worse than an AT tire in the city? On pavement like, wet pavement?

And do they work ALOT better off roading than an AT tire?

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Muds are better offroad, worse on wet pavement for most types. And if you do a lot of highway, they will wear more quickly. I wouldn't recommend them unless you do a lot of offroading where ATs just don't cut it. If you're coming from the stock crapyears, BFG ATs will blow your mind!

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I have the stock tires right now.

If they wear faster on pavement I think I'll be getting an AT tire then.

Thanks guys

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Muds on icy roads

The BFG AT's are great in snowy, ice conditions. Most muds suck in those conditions, especially if they are not siped. Muds are good in deep snow though. I've heard the Trxus are good in snow and ice, but the smallest they make is 31x10.50.

Here's 2 to check out:

General Grabber AT2-- very similar to the BFG AT but much cheaper

Cooper Discoverer STT-- mean looking mud tire with good on road handling.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BFG AT's are great in snowy, ice conditions. Most muds suck in those conditions, especially if they are not siped. Muds are good in deep snow though. I've heard the Trxus are good in snow and ice, but the smallest they make is 31x10.50.

Here's 2 to check out:

General Grabber AT2-- very similar to the BFG AT but much cheaper

Cooper Discoverer STT-- mean looking mud tire with good on road handling.
The Interco Trxus MT's are awesome on snow and ice,they have the most sipping of any MT on the market,unless you spent the extra $$$ at the tire store to have them sip your tires.

And in the mud they are 2nd to none for the price,the only ones that I have seen do better are the Interco Bogger.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I was looking at the General Grabbers, just getting them priced out back home actually.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k couple of questions:

1) what is "sip your tires"?
2) what to look for, for good offroad tread life?

I have dfinity A/T's that ran me about 100$ a go, ive got 7K miles on them and they look like someone took a mini-mellon-ball'er to em. The tread is shredding to pieces. My first tires, first offroad experience, Is this the nature of the beast? or do my tires suxsor? Backway to crownking trail really f'ed em up good, lots of very sharp rocks on the trails in places, esp when treversing shale (lots of that out here) They have been great on traction ect, just getting cut to pieces =( Ill take a pic later and post it.

EDIT: I googled siping, pretty cool ive seen retread fragments w/ that on em but never knew what i was looking at till i read about it and saw a video. little cuts in the tires for extra traction. So these tires you speak of come sipped already then eh?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k couple of questions:

1) what is "sip your tires"?
2) what to look for, for good offroad tread life?

I have dfinity A/T's that ran me about 100$ a go, ive got 7K miles on them and they look like someone took a mini-mellon-ball'er to em. The tread is shredding to pieces. My first tires, first offroad experience, Is this the nature of the beast? or do my tires suxsor? Backway to crownking trail really f'ed em up good, lots of very sharp rocks on the trails in places, esp when treversing shale (lots of that out here) They have been great on traction ect, just getting cut to pieces =( Ill take a pic later and post it.
Sipping the tires is all those little cuts in the tread blocks(look at Blizzack tires to see major sipping) which helps on ice,more edges to grab for traction.

A good offroad tire ussually starts with a good name,GoodYear MT/R's,Maxxis tires,Interco are a few good offroad tire manufactures.I can't say BFG's are good cause they ain't unless you get the Krawlers and they only satrt in the 35" sizes.

As for tread life,keep them aired up properly on road,air down offroad,don't spin them unless you have to,rotate every oil change is a must.And good MT tires are a "you get what you pay for" type of item,sorry but it is true.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the better tires would have to last 50% longer to break even, wondering how the avg tire vs the good brand lasts when driving on sharp shale jaggs. have to do some more askin around. o8K

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
silent armor goodyear's any good?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the better tires would have to last 50% longer to break even, wondering how the avg tire vs the good brand lasts when driving on sharp shale jaggs. have to do some more askin around. o8K
If your driving on sharp rocks the MT/R's are the only way to go,they are made for the rocks and stand up very well.I've had 3 sets and never once cut a tire on the many sharp rocks I've ventered over.

The first set of MT/R's I had lasted about 40,000 miles with 4/32" tread left,the second lasted 35,000 miles with 6/32" tread left,and the last set I had on for 34,000 miles with 8/32" tread left.Not bad for aggresive offroad tires,and yes many of those miles is offroad on the rocks here in CO(just for the last set).

You'll never find a cheap tire to last on sharp rocks.Just stop being cheap and buy the good tires,and you all wonder why nobody makes alot of aftermarket parts for the KJ,you don't want to spend the $$$ for the good stuff.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha you make me laugh! thats funny, you did covey that dont be cheap thing in the first post. but funnier in the second yes i think u helped me somthing worth investigating further its worth getting somthing good nxt go round and see how it turns out.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
silent armor goodyear's any good?

That's what I have. "Pro Grade" E-load rated. They've kept up with the MT-Rs on the few trails I've taken 'em on but, I'd rather have the MT-Rs. I have some very fine sidewall cuts from shale and rocks (they're holding up rather well) but the MT-Rs that took those same trails had no damage from it.