Faulty 42rle Trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barryh

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I bought a 2004 KJ about 1 month ago( I am in Australia) and have found that the Trans shudders and slips when pushing my trailer up the driveway in reverse. I googled the fault and it seems likely that the L/R clutch on reverse has failed. All of the other functions of the trans seem to be quite ok.
I got a couple of verbal quotes to repair and they were between $5-$6k which seems to be very high as I can not see that any gears would be involved in the repair. As far as I can see only an overhaul kit would be required. Can anyone tell me what I am not seeing or is the job much more complicated than I think.
I have also found out that a new trans is $4,400A$ so I will probably go that direction and fit the trans myself. Thanks barryh

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have your flushed the trans and changed the filters recently?? It always a possibility to try and its a lot cheaper.

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That has always been a problem with that trans. Off road I have had to go to lo range to back up a hill. But you cannot do that on pavement. Many people report that as an issue with the gearing.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It's a Jeep thing.... something to do with the fluid pickup. That's what I've heard. They all do it and a rebuild or replacement is just a waste of money.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Jeep thing.... something to do with the fluid pickup. That's what I've heard. They all do it and a rebuild or replacement is just a waste of money.

I hope by all you mean the 42rle
I know that the 45rfe in our KJ never did that
and the TF999 in my TJ will easily spin the MTR-K's in 2wd Locked

oh and to the op
this is a common problem for this trans
nothing you can really do about it

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you checked the codes what codes did it give?

If its throwing codes then most likely you have something wrong. The reverse is pretty crappy in the 42rle. Ive had to put it in 4low just to get out of the driveway before. :rolleyes:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a gently sloped driveway and a 3500 lb travel trailer... it is painful to back it up the driveway in 2HI.

Luckily I have a gravel driveway and put it in 4LO and it backs up like it's not even there.

I suspect as others have said... it's a Jeep thing!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
44k on my 2007 42rle and I have never had a problem in reverse.

X2... Just over 51k here now and i have no problems in reverse... Just last week i was backing out of my driveway in about 8 inches of snow in 2wd, she walked right out. And last summer i was hauling trailers around after putting my hitch on, one time backing a 16ft loaded flatbed trailer up an inclined driveway in reverse, it had a good pile of lumber on it and i would say about 2500lbs with the trailer weight, no problemo whatsoever...

So i haven't had any of these issues you guys speak of.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a gently sloped driveway and a 3500 lb travel trailer... it is painful to back it up the driveway in 2HI.

Luckily I have a gravel driveway and put it in 4LO and it backs up like it's not even there.

I suspect as others have said... it's a Jeep thing!

Since mine doesnt do it, can you explain what it does?? Does it just slip and loose power or what?

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since mine doesnt do it, can you explain what it does?? Does it just slip and loose power or what?

Basically, yes. Lots of noise/revs, little motion. It's not so bad once you get it moving and keep it moving, but because of the size of my trailer and narrow tree-lined driveway, it's a slow, careful process and there can be some stop-and-go, pull forward to re-align, don't run over the mailbox etc. so 4LO makes a huge difference.

I will add I don't notice any issues without the trailer, or with the trailer on relatively level ground.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It is not any better. It just has a higher torque capacity.

I Knew this was gonna happen. Ugh, here we go again...

The problem with the 42RLE in Reverse isn't really backing up in general, it's backing UP a hill in REVERSE. Going up that same hill forward is fine, but reverse poses an issue due to the fluid pickup being in the rear of the transmission.

This is what I've heard and been told.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just waiting for Troy to come in here and say, "Aren't all 42RLE's faulty?"

It is not any better. It just has a higher torque capacity.

I Knew this was gonna happen. Ugh, here we go again...

The problem with the 42RLE in Reverse isn't really backing up in general, it's backing UP a hill in REVERSE. Going up that same hill forward is fine, but reverse poses an issue due to the fluid pickup being in the rear of the transmission.

This is what I've heard and been told.
This is also what I have read and what my Jeep does.

I have the 42RLE.

If I start backing up on a flat surface and then proceed up a hill, it is fine. However, if I start backing up while on a hill, I get shutter. It is even worse when you are trying to back a trailer up while starting on a hill. The steeper the hill, the more shutter. I hate to say it, but it is a characteristic of this vehicle with this transmission.

You just have to find ways to work around it or put the trans in 4-lo. Now that I know what the problem is what causes it to start happening, I find myself rarely getting the shutter because I don't allow myself to get in that situation.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation Marlon... (again?) ;) I don't recall reading that before.

How harmful/dangerous could this be for one's transmission? Especially when "pushing" a 3500 lb trailer up hill in reverse?

Perhaps I should drop the trailer, put it on the front hitch and drive it up forwards :)

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh you experienced that failure? I've seen it a few times in other Dodge vehicles now, its amazing how it pops those bolt heads off.

Oh yeah... a little over a year ago. (banghead) The 45RFE is certainly not indestructible.

Looked like this:

You must be registered for see images

New vs. old accumulator plate...