Factory Alarm System - Possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lavalva

Reaction score
BluPhant: This was originally posted in How-To, I split it here so more people could chime in and give their two cents

How to add a factory alarm/keyless entry to one that doesn't have it would be awesome :)

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lavalva said:
How to add a factory alarm/keyless entry to one that doesn't have it would be awesome :)

Hey Lava! Welcome to JeepKJ!

Anyway, couple of questions for ya.
First, does your KJ have keyless entry now, and you just want to add the alarm parts? If it doesnt have keyless entry, does it have power locks?

I've added the factory security system to mine, but it came with keyless entry. Let me know, and I'll do a little research to find out what is involved.

-Blu

lavalva

Reaction score
No keyless entry, but I do have power locks. I'm thinking about just getting an aftermarket system put in with keyless/alarm/remote start, it's about $375 - It depends how much work and $ I'd have to put in to add the factory.

I'd like to have it factory, mostly because the factory remotes have seemed to be much more durable than aftermarket (at least with my previous vehicles)

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be difficult to add factory keyless entry. Maybe someone else here can chime in, but it's my understanding that there are 2 BCMs. The Regular BCM and the Premium BCM (Body Control Module). This is the computer that controls many things about the Libby - the lighting, interface to the overhead trip computer, Sentry key stuff, Alarm stuff, etc. You'd want to try to determine which you have first. I think Cruise control is one of the other features that would require a premium BCM.

My guess is that if you determine that you dont have a premium BCM, you'll do better to do an aftermarket alarm.

I do have to say tho, that I really do like the alarm system in this vehicle. It's pretty simple - when you click the clicker or lock the doors using the power lock, it activates the alarm. The Jeep won't start unless you have a specially chipped key, so my old (non-chipped) keys will start the Jeep, but it dies after like 5 seconds. So even if someone did hotwire it, they wouldn't be able to get far.

Here's a tidbit from the EVIC/OTIS (Mini Trip Computer) installation that might help you determine which BCM you have:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only KJ's that you can add an OTIS/EVIC to must have the Premium BCM installed on it.

You have a Premium BCM if you have any one or more of the following options:

Keyless Entry
Steering wheel mounted radio controls
Fog Lights

If you do not have any of the above options, there is a good chance the you have the "Base BCM" and you cannot add an overhead console. However, you can check with your dealer to scan your BCM to see which one it is. (You may even be able to replace your base BCM with a premium BCM to your KJ, though I do not know.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once you've figured out what you've got, post back and we'll stir the pot a lil!

:)

-Blu

lavalva

Reaction score
I DO have radio controls on the wheel and cruise, so I'd guess at premium. I also am thinking my key does NOT have the chip inside. When looking at aftermarket, one of the installers looked at my key and said I wouldn't need the extra module, because my key was before they started putting in the ones with chips... If that makes sense?

BTW... Thanks a lot for your quick responses, it's very rare people are willing to take time to help a new person this fast on any forum.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a problem, happy to help out! I've kinda taken on the how-to section as my personal project.

Anyway, I'm kind of suprised that you have power locks w/o keyless entry. I've not heard of this combo. I looked on a couple OEM suppy sites, and there are a couple versions of the security system available, one for liberties with keyless entry, and another for liberties w/o power locks. Seems like neither of them would work.

Did you get your Liberty used or new? If you got it used, I think what I'd do in your position, is head to the dealer, and ask what it would take to get keyless entry. My guess is they'd be able to just sell you the key fobs, and re-program your BCM to allow them.

As a side note, your key is probably black. This is the color w/o chips (for the 02-04 years, 05 is different). The sentry keys (the ones with chips) are grey.

-Blu

lavalva

Reaction score
I bought it from a used car dealer (Buy here/pay here... I know, I know) I'm actually very close and have bought 4 cars from him in the past. He's a family friend and I do their computer stuff for them. He gave me twice what my old car was with, and it had a lot of problems. I would have liked to get out of a car paying cash, but I couldn't pass up the deal. Paid $8500 with my car (BMW 318IS, 143,000 miles) I think my transmission was going, and plenty of small problems.

Do you think a new Jeep dealer could tell me if I had keyless entry already?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, for sure. You could probably call them with your VIN and they'd be able to tell you.

If they tell you it came with keyless entry, I think what I'd do is go to ebay, pick up a couple, and see what you can do. If memory serves, you can program these thinggies yourself (not sure if it requires the overhead computer or not). You might have to have the dealer do it, since I think the procedure requires one working transmitter.

-Blu

lavalva

Reaction score
Turns out I do have keyless entry, just no remote so that saves me a few hundred $$ - Thanks a lot for help. I just have to order the remote and get the dealership to program, $40 - Ouch.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
lavalva said:
Turns out I do have keyless entry, just no remote so that saves me a few hundred $$ - Thanks a lot for help. I just have to order the remote and get the dealership to program, $40 - Ouch.

if it's still has the warranty, u can try to claim it as warranty work...
one of my FOB's went dead on me....dealer reprogrammed under warranty...(80 bux...for 1 hour labour..even tho it would take them 5 minutes to do....sheez)

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool deal - good to find out that u have more than you thought :)

You might consider getting the alarm system ahead of going to the dealer, maybe they can do both at same time, save a lil on labor.

The security system you need is available from MyDodgeParts.com for $144. They're good people there, I've gotten stuff from them in the past. You'll have to have the dealership install the sentry key thing, program the BCM for your keys, and cut the keys for you. You can't do that part yourself anyway. The other part that comes with the kit (Shock sensor) you can install yourself if you want to. Mine is still in the garage gathering dust.

EVS II Security System w/Sentry Key and Interior Theft Senso
2002-2004 Liberty For vehicles w/remote keyless entry system, complete kit includespanic feature, interior theft sensor, Sentry Key immobilizer and electronically coded ignition keys, no wiring needed.

-Blu