Exhaust Systems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust Systems & Towing Question

Okay, so I'm looking at Magnaflow part 15721 for my Jeep. I don't want the headers on the system, just the catback parts, aka 15721, like I just said xD I wondered what everyone's opinion on these were. I found them here ( http://www.a-1performance.com/magnaflow/Systems/liberty.cfm ) for around $454, and on ebay for the same price. Does anyone know of anywhere else to find them cheaper? I'm looking for a sound upgrade--I'm not really concerned with performance.

And as a sidenote, Flowmaster is absolutely NOT an option--too overpriced and their pipes aren't uniform diameters. So yeah...either Borla or Magnaflow, and I like the sound of the Magnaflow, but am still looking for opinions.

As for towing--what is a 2002 KJ Renegade ACTUALLY rated to tow? Because I've heard 5k from some sites and 3k from others, and the manual says 5k only if you have the heavy duty towing package, etc. I'm not sure what it has on it--I know it has a hitch and tow hooks and stuff, but I believe that's all part of the Renegade package. I'm trying to find out if I'd be able to pull my horse trailer with it--with two horses the load would weigh around 4,500. With one horse, which is probably all I'd ever tow, it'd be around 3,200 pounds. And with the wheel-base being so short, has this ever caused problems for anyone?

Last edited:

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm looking at Magnaflow part 15721 for my Jeep. I don't want the headers on the system, just the catback parts, aka 15721, like I just said xD I wondered what everyone's opinion on these were. I found them here ( http://www.a-1performance.com/magnaflow/Systems/liberty.cfm ) for around $454, and on ebay for the same price. Does anyone know of anywhere else to find them cheaper? I'm looking for a sound upgrade--I'm not really concerned with performance.

Hey KJ zGal, I think I have that one, not sure though as I got it from Bennett when I first joined up here. It looks just like it though.

I really like it and it sounds nice. Especially when I go into a parking garage or an enclosed space that has a natural reverb (echo). I almost forget that I have it on, I'm so used to the sound. I get reminded when I have to punch it at 70 and the KJ rockets to 80 in a blink. That, and when I see that I still have my OEM exhaust hanging in my garage.

I'll try to get some sound clips if you want.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by you dont want headers? Magna Flow doesnt sell headers for the kj, thats why Im confused. Only JBA does.

Anyway, idk what you mean by this either, "too overpriced and their pipes aren't uniform diameters." I bought my flow master and installed it myself for $100. Given its just a muffler and no pipes. And by not having uniform diameters I guess you mean the cat back that flow master sells isnt a true 2.5in? :confused: The kj already has mandrel bent 2.5in exhaust so I didnt see a use in replacing it with mandrel bent 2.5in exhaust. :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by you dont want headers? Magna Flow doesnt sell headers for the kj, thats why Im confused. Only JBA does.

Anyway, idk what you mean by this either, "too overpriced and their pipes aren't uniform diameters." I bought my flow master and installed it myself for $100. Given its just a muffler and no pipes. And by not having uniform diameters I guess you mean the cat back that flow master sells isnt a true 2.5in? :confused: The kj already has mandrel bent 2.5in exhaust so I didnt see a use in replacing it with mandrel bent 2.5in exhaust. :)

I have heard the flo master in person on a KJ and it sounds real good. Save yourself a bunch of $$$

I agree with Blake.

Dave

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't like the sound of the Flowmasters when I listened to them. They sound too...airy, if that is the word I'm looking for. I liked the Magnaflow sound MUCH better. And from everything I've read, both Magnaflow and Borla both use mandrel bent pipes on ALL of their systems, whereas Flowmaster does not. The pipes get squashed instead and it constricts airflow, so I figured this could potentially affect the sound.

And if I buy this, I'm going to replace the muffler and the tailpipe together--they're old and rusty now, and I'd rather not have to fight with them any longer. Also, it looks like there's a dent in the pipe right beyond where the muffler attaches, but I haven't really looked at it for any great length of time, only just glimpsed it when doing other stuff.

In regards to the headers, I didn't even research whether Magnaflow had them or not, because, as I said, I don't want them. So if they don't have them, it works out =P

All in all, I'm looking for the best prices of Magnaflow, and was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere they were cheaper than the $454.

And TJ--Thanks for the info about the towing ^^

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't like the sound of the Flowmasters when I listened to them. They sound too...airy, if that is the word I'm looking for. I liked the Magnaflow sound MUCH better. And from everything I've read, both Magnaflow and Borla both use mandrel bent pipes on ALL of their systems, whereas Flowmaster does not. The pipes get squashed instead and it constricts airflow, so I figured this could potentially affect the sound.

And if I buy this, I'm going to replace the muffler and the tailpipe together--they're old and rusty now, and I'd rather not have to fight with them any longer. Also, it looks like there's a dent in the pipe right beyond where the muffler attaches, but I haven't really looked at it for any great length of time, only just glimpsed it when doing other stuff.

In regards to the headers, I didn't even research whether Magnaflow had them or not, because, as I said, I don't want them. So if they don't have them, it works out =P

All in all, I'm looking for the best prices of Magnaflow, and was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere they were cheaper than the $454.

And TJ--Thanks for the info about the towing ^^

Saying they are too airy makes perfect since. Mine has a nice low rumble at low rpms but at higher rpms it does in fact sound 'airy.'

Didnt know flowmaster didnt use mandrel bent pipes, thats kinda stupid.

And there are little reductions right at the connector where the stock exhaust bolts just before the muffler. With the cat back you will be keeping that. There is also a reduction right after the stock muffler, I just cut everything out.

You must be registered for see images attach

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty--Thanks for the pictures! The stock muffler on yours looks about ten times better than mine does right now... And I just thought this was a neat animation I found on a Flowmaster site and one that explains my concerns about constricted air flow:
You must be registered for see images
To my understanding, if Flowmaster doesn't run a little ball through the tube like Magnaflow and Borla do, the pipes won't be uniform diameter or thickness. Again, they DO use it on some systems, but not all.

Last edited:

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW..... Here was the process. It took maybe half an hour.

Stock:

Muffler is gone, rear center axle is in the background:

Stock system:

New system (forgot to take a pic of the pipe)

Installed (my friends arm and leg in the background):

And it's done:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you could just skip paying for the whole CAT-back system.After I crushed my Borla muffler I just installed a $20 Thrush Turbo muffler and a turn down,it exited about 10" in front of the rear axle,sounded good to.
You must be registered for see images

Then I swapped in a MagnaFlow Ultra Race muffler,the 12" long one,very compact.Below is a pic compared to the Thrush,sorry no installed pics.The Ultra Race muffler sounds way better,even compared to the FlowMaster.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to see if I can find some videos of it so I can hear the sound. My only concern with the side exit would be the fact that I have running boards on mine--would they interfere?

Edit: I can't seem to find any videos with the sound of the Ultra Race version--would you be able to post a video sometime? Also, with the new tailpipes--If possible I'd like to keep it behind the bumper so I don't detract from the ground clearance, so to speak. I still would like a new one, because of the dent, but are all the Magnaflow tailpipes going to stick out below the bumper like that?

Last edited:

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can cut it off if you really want to. i like how it peeks out. a subtle little clue that its not stock.

Eastcoastpowerhouse

Reaction score
Hey,

just to throw out another option is the JBA cat back. i put one on about 2 months ago never got around to posting the pics if i can find them i throw them and a sound clip for you. i have my JBA headers on order but i really wouldnt pay the price they were for them so im happy i got them as a gift lol.

Matt

YellowSaturnGuy

Reaction score
Does anybody have decent sound clips or videos of the options discussed in this thread?

I actually just posted asking if anyone had run one of the MBRP cat-back systems.... still looking for clips of that too...

Tom