engine oil consuming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trazman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, my kj started to consume some engine oil... lets say about 0.5l/1000km... what should I do?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What year kj do you have? How many miles on motor?
Have you replaced the PCV valve was is dirty or plugged up?
What oil & weight have you been running? In what kind of temperatures or climate.
Have you ever flushed the rad/hoat coolant?
May be recommended that you get a cylinder compression test done.

trazman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My kj is 2002 3,7l v6 with 140k miles.

What is the PCV valve and where is it?

I dont remember the brand of the oil, i can go to see which it is later... i know that is 5w-40... temperatures in winter are from -5 to +5 degree C and
in summer from 25 to 35 degree celzium.

What is the rad/hoat coolant and what it means to flush it?

Sorry for all this Q, but i am not so good in english, so I dont understand all...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The PCV is located on the outside of the oil filler tube. (where you put oil in half way down) on the side you will see it.
There is a hose that is attached to it. Be carefull not to break that hose they can get brittle. Using a hairdryer to heat the hose should make it easier to remove. The pcv once turned counter clockwise can be pulled out, and it should rattle when shaken. If it does not rattle replace it. Make sure it is not plugged up with oil/crap.
Use this link to see the PCV.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41926&highlight=valve
If your engine is burning oil due to worn valve stem seals or worn rings, only rebuilding will correct the problem. Is the engine smoking blue out the tailpipe when hot and let idle for a few minutes, then step on gas and note any exhaust smoke. A compression test will give you a better idea of cylinder condition. Consider finding a mechanic who is familiar with these processes, or consult a dealer.
The rad or cooling system flush should be done once every 5 years. It requires HOAT coolant (available at dealer) and it is a good idea to replace the thermostat as well.
Is your temperature gauge reading middle way?
Do you have any check engine lights on?
5W-40 is a bit thicker than recommended. I believe the correct oil spec to be 5W-30.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online