Engine locked up...need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonw

Reaction score
I just bought a 2002 liberty 3.7 with automatic transmission. The jeep was ran very low on oil and damaged the engine. I bought the jeep and I ordered a new engine. I drove the jeep a few miles home and the engine locked up. I wish it had held up a little longer because I think it may be a pain to get the transmission out now.

Is there any tricks to getting the transmission unbolted with the engine locked up?

TIA
Jason

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board.

Wow, you put a new engine in it and it locked up after a few miles.

My first suggest would be to see why the engine is locked up. Did it throw a rod, did something with the valve train interfere with a piston? If you knew why it was locked up, then you may be able to unlock it to get the torque converter bolts out.

I think your only other option would be to pull the ****** with it.

I've never pulled an engine from a Liberty, but there are some who have. I'm sure they'll chime in shortly.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he meant the old motor locked up while trying to get it home to start working on it....

Shouldn't be a problem with it locked up, you will have to drop the trans and transfer case from underneath before you pull the motor anyway.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I think he meant the old motor locked up while trying to get it home to start working on it....

Shouldn't be a problem with it locked up, you will have to drop the trans and transfer case from underneath before you pull the motor anyway.
I believe your right,after rereading three or four times. And welcome to the site jasonw. (welcome)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the service manual it talks about removal of the transfer case and transmission before removing the engine. So engine locked up or not it shouldn't make any difference in removal.

(lots of new members lately!)

jasonw

Reaction score
sorry for the wording....I bought the jeep knowing it had a knocking motor.....I was hoping it would stay running until I pull it out.

I am concerned on how I am going to unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel when I cannot turn the motor. BTW I have a 2wd liberty..so no transfer case.

Is there an easy way to remove the transmission before the engine comes out?

TIA
Jason

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the service manual it talks about removal of the transfer case and transmission before removing the engine. So engine locked up or not it shouldn't make any difference in removal.

(lots of new members lately!)
In order to remove the torque converter bolts you need to rotate the engine,if it is seized you can not do this since you can only access 1 or 2 bolts at a time.

Which leads me to the super easy,but messy solution.............

Unbolt the trans completely from the engine but leave the TC bolts in(got to if the engine is seized) and simply pull the trans back,the TC will pull out of the transmission and spill alot of ATF all over the place but at least you can pull the trans/t-case while not attache dto the engine.

bobcat7

Reaction score
Just a thought that may work. Try taking out the spark plugs and squirting WD40 or similar in the cylinders and letting it sit for a while then try turning the engine by hand. As I said it is just a thought when all else fails. Othe members may have more experience with this.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I hate to be nosy here, but inquiring minds want to know... how much did you pay for the Jeep?

I just saw an '02 KJ on Craigslist with 230k a few days ago, needed engine... $2200.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trans can be pulled with a locked up motor but like it was said it will be messy
if you want a 4wd KJ with only 70k on it in great shape let me know
yours for $10K
and I will deliver

jasonw

Reaction score
I paid $900 for it. It has 104,000 miles on it and everything else is in good shape...tires are about half-worn....windshield has a crack in it.

I listened to the engine noise...it sounded like it was in the top of the motor...not like a rod end....I may try to take out the timing chains and remove the heads to see what is holding it.

I put a breaker-bar on the front pulley.....it will not easily move in either direction...so I don't think wd-40 will help me....I was driving it and it really started banging inside the block and make a really bad sound when it locked up.

I will probably just drain the trans fluid and remove it without the tq...since it needs a trans fluid change anyway.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess what TBJ suggests.

low oil = no lube on the cam's and valves.

valve dropped or a spring broke.

Great deal for $900.00 once you get it all fixed up though.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$900 ain't bad for that! Too bad its not a 4x4 but still, a junkyard motor and some time if you can do it all yourself and you should have it on the road for cheap. Even if you don't keep it you can flip it and sell it for a lot more than you paid for it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess what TBJ suggests.

low oil = no lube on the cam's and valves.

valve dropped or a spring broke.

Great deal for $900.00 once you get it all fixed up though.

I'm betting the same thing... Maybe he can pull the timing chains and get it to roll over, but either way its toast so just start wrenching!

jasonw

Reaction score
I got the engine to turn over...I removed the spark plugs and it cranked. I go the bolts out of the flywheel....but man were they tiny...I expected something a little stronger than 4 little tiny bolts.

My biggest problem has been all the electrical connectors are cracking and crumbling when I try to unplug the wires.....a little silicone adhesive is going to be used on reassembly.

I am hoping tomorrow that the transmission removal goes ok...some of the upper bolts are really hard to see. I got the exhaust out, driveshaft out, and the starter removed.

Thanks for all the help so far...I know I will have more questions as the project goes along.

Jason

Latest posts

Members online