Embarassing question on diff lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate the responses here. I guess I'm convinced that (money being highly limited) I should go with a rear locker (LSD-- probably DTT) first. But I got a lump in my throat when someone suggested changing the gears. Is that something I'd really have to do? Or will it be effective without a gearing change?

#1 you only need gears if you plan to run larger tires ,31" od or more
please read this carefully
#2 A DETROIT TRUE TRACK IS NOT A LOCKER
IT WILL NOT LOCK UP 100% LIKE THE DETROIT LOCKER WILL
now that I have your attention
it would seem that there are a few people who are very misinformed about how things work
yes a TT is a GREAT LSD but it will never replace a locker nor even come close to being as good as 1 off road
if you are going to do any kind of diff work and pay for it then it is best done as an all or nothing job
gears and locker or just a locker the install for a carrier replacement type locker should be the same ,maybe $25 or so more due to pinion install on the gears and this is the only type to buy
now depending on what your rig has now as far as ESP and such doing TT's front and rear may be just as good as doing locker/LSD (rear/front)
no ESP then locker rear = night and day
LSD rear only and you will not be very happy after you spend the money
LSD front and rear 4.10's even with no ESP and you will be way better than open/open but the day will come when you will wish you had that rear locker

CrossBones

Reaction score
Figured I owed it to some to make myself clear regarding the DTT, and not the PowerTrax. For such times when the Truetrac is starting to slip, using the Throttle Braking Technique is very helpful. As the wheel begins to slip gentle and gradual application of the brake pedal will induce enough resistance torque to "fool" the torsen LSD into re-engaging and shunting power to the wheel with traction.

With that said, both devices received great reviews which is why I went with them. Some would have you believe these aren't worthy. That is an opinion. I can tell you this, the DTT is a better built LSD than most others, and is a great choice for the POS open D30a in a KJ.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, its not necessary to get 4.10 gears its just nice to have for the larger tires. Even with my 32" tires i don't feel it is necessary but i'm also running a skinnier tire with stock wheels so they are a little lighter. If i was already spending the money to throw a locker in then i would put the gears in at the same time to save money. This won't happen for me until at least next summer. I just bought new tires and this winter i would like to pick up a winch + winch bumper combo.