El Camino del Diablo (the Devil‘s Highway)… Oct 2~5 2009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Signcutter 21 and I are planning to run El Camino Del Diablo (the Devil’s Highway). It’s a 130 mile, 2 day, 1 night camping trip through the Sonoran Desert. The trail runs from Ajo to Yuma. The area is extremely remote and conditions are harsh. There are no services along the way and parts of the trail run parallel with the Mexican Border. You’ll need to be 110% self sufficient… plenty of water, food, camping gear and extra gas.

A free permit from BLM is required for “each” person traveling this trail. To obtain the permit, each person is required by BLM to watch a 20 minute video on the dangers of the trail and sign a “hold harmless” form.

You can get the permits at:

BLM Field Office
2015 W. Deer Valley Road
Phoenix, AZ 85027

Or

Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge
1611 N. 2nd Ave
Ajo, AZ 85321

Both offices are open M~F from 0730~ 1600. You can get your permits on your own or we can meet in Ajo and get them together on Friday afternoon.

After we get the permits, we can spend some time together over dinner and wherever else we happen to find. We’ll depart for the trail first thing Saturday morning after breakfast. The trail ends in Yuma late Sunday afternoon. You can stay the night there, or head for home... your choice.

For those who did the Mojave Road Expedition~2009 last May, this trip will be much the same, but in a different and hotter location.

Note:

- This trip is limited to 7 vehicles. Anything more than 4 requires a special permit for which BLM is sending me a permit application.

- No wood fires, Charcoal and propane are okay.

- We will be required to set up camp in a designated area... Tule Well Campground (they are equipped with a picnic table and grill.

- There is no water or facilities... primitive camping.

- No firearms allowed.

When: Oct 2~5
Where: TBA in Ajo, AZ
Time: TBA

More info will be posted within the next few days.

Who’s going:

Signcutter21 +1
AZKJ +1

Maybe:

Last edited:

silverd

Reaction score
Everyone's heard of the Camino del Diablo who knows anything about Southwestern Arizona. Lots of border stories but with a trailleader like
Signcutter21 this would make for a very interesting and awesome trip!

Stupid work- I can't make it!- Would have liked to! :(

So have fun and take lots of pictures and bring home lots of stories!

Roland

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this trip planned last winter, already had the permits and everything and had to cancel out. Please take alot of pics can't wait to see them. That is a trip I want to go on sometime.

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KSKJ, well c'mon on down. Nothing like taking off work the last minute, driving 1300+ miles to hit a historic trail. lol.

You know I'm in. I'm really excited about making one last epic expedition before moving to the land of mud and humidity (LA).

Mike

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could I will be working in western new mexico the next few weeks but I won't have the jeep:(

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a LINK to some cool pictures taken by another group that crossed the Devil's Highway. Talk about being well equipped!! It looks like they spent almost the same amount of time cooking as they did on the trail. Lol... and I thought I was doing good with grilled marinated ribeye steaks, fried potatoes and cucumber salad on our Mojave Road Expedition~2009 this past May. Or, my Italian sausage and fried onions on a hoagie roll on another run we made this past summer.

Mmmm good....

You must be registered for see images

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh so it's gonna be that kinda trip. Then i guess I'll put the MREs and beanie-weanies back in the cabinet. lol

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey!! If you want to do MRE's and weenie beanies, I'm all for it. You gonna supply the MRE's, or how about C-rations??? :D

On another note... I haven't decided if we're going to get our permits in Phoenix or Ajo. We may just get them here and meet you for breakfast first thing Saturday morning in Ajo, and then head out. We're only a 2.25 hour drive from Ajo, so still debating if we want to drive down on Friday and spend the night in a motel. It really depends if Beth can get off work Friday. We'll keep you posted.

AJ

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

For those of you who can't take off four days to do this trip, it just dawned on me I should of posted the dates for the trip as Oct 3~4 and left it up to everyone when they wanted to head down to Ajo and meet up.

Ajo is less than a 2 hour drive from Phoenix. You could leave Phoenix early Saturday morning, say 0530 or so and still have time to meet us for breakfast in Ajo before we start the run.

The same goes for Sunday. Phoenix is only a 3 hour ride from Yuma for those who have to be back at work on Monday morning.

Yeah, it would be nice to meet the night before and spend some time together after the run... but if time is a factor, folks can do this run over the space of a normal weekend... Saturday and Sunday.

AJ

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're back from chasing down the Devil on his own highway!! It was a fun trip across the harsh and desolute country of the Sonoran Desert. Other than the Border Patrol, and a few wild critters, we saw no one else the entire weekend.

A few pictures from our 137 mile trip across El Camino del Diablo.

Airing down....

A very long stretch of desert sand....

You must be registered for see images attach

This is what the Jeep looked like after crossing the sandy stretch behind Mike's KJ....

Parked next to an extinct valcano....

A contrast, dusty Jeep sitting on black lava rock....

Our camp at Tule Well....

Beth and Mike kicked back after a long, dusty day on the Devil's Highway....

See Beth jump!!! After she saw this critter walking towards her in camp just after it got dark....

Another sandy stretch....

A Marine that didn't make it....

Tinajas Altus, Mike climbed almost to the top of the section above the bush in the middle of the picture....

More sand....

The end of the trail....