Ebay intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0379711481&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Bought this and doesn't exactly line up.. does the hose that was originally off the right side of "resinator box" matter in anything important? it doesn't reach the port on the intake piping. I have an 02 so the sensor is on the TB. and if anyone has something like this how did you mount it securely? the contraptions they gave me are kind of odd and of-course ebay intake doesn't come with instructions. :( but it was only $22.98 planned on getting a better filter anyways. just bought the cheapest one i could find for piping.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's there for crankcase ventilation.

If it were me, I'd find a way to hook it up. You're engine will appreciate it.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm just gonna return the intake now that i think about it.. I wheel pretty hard so this would actually hurt me more than improve. nvm guys. thanks anyways

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I used a mounting system for mine, they are sold at Pep Boyz and those auto places, where the Spectre stuff is:
picture.php

You can see the TWO clamps, the one at the front, I MADE. The one that goes towards the fender is the one I bought.

Here is the breather filter hose rerouted, to an oil catch can, that is a simple fuel filter:
picture.php

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, but snorkels are ugly... I saw a jeep locally with one, and I didn't like it too much... I thought about getting one, but after I saw it HERE and around town, I decided not to.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plus a waste of money. liberties dont only have to worry about intake. most connections and pcv valves what not are not water proof. so.. no purpose for a snorkel other than looks. :D

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
plus a waste of money. liberties dont only have to worry about intake. most connections and pcv valves what not are not water proof. so.. no purpose for a snorkel other than looks. :D

Really?

What happens when you nose down the front of a kj into a 1.5+ meter deep water crossing and the whole grill is submerged in water?
It goes into the air snorkel behind the passengers side head lamp.
Not too good!
Also, in very dusty areas an external snorkel is very beneficial in bringing in cleaner air from higher up. The snorkel intake can be rotated 180 degrees to suck in air out of the forward flow of air. So depending on the type and area of off roading you do, it really depends on whether or not a snorkel is a necessary item for your application.
As far as looks go, whatever blows your hair back!

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok ill specify.. for water fording where water is above the stock air-box. A snorkel will not be the only thing necessary... and why dip your front end in the deep in the first place? :D

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyways.. off topic. I'm sending the thing back and keeping stock box. and ryan dont get me wrong I do see you point. I dropped into a lake that went way over my grille luckily only on my drivers side.. rear right tire was off the ground. flooded interior and driver headlight but that was it.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Also, in very dusty areas an external snorkel is very beneficial in bringing in cleaner air from higher up.

ThunderbirdJunkie would like to debunk this myth by saying he replaces his air filter at least twice as often now as he did before the snorkel

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would need at least $3000+ in further mods to make use of that snorkel.Like stated it is 100% looks for a KJ and serves zero function for what it is ment for.

I've been in water well over my hood with a open air filter system and the air filter stayed dry,did it about 3 more times also with still a dry filter.The key is to keep a steady pace and do not stop.I would highly NOT recommend going through water deeper then 20" with a KJ unless you are prepared to deal with what can,and eventually will happen.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Biggest thing in ThunderbirdJunkie's case with the snorkel is

If he DOES do something REALLY stupid...

At least he won't have to put an engine in it :)

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score

With the STOCK intake, on later models, the air-box snorkel is right where the hood meets the grille on the passenger side. I say snorkel, because that's what it is. It is an OVAL intake funnel that goes to the base of the Air Box, and pulls outside air in. The STOCK intake mine has, is more a CAI than the one I made. I repositioned my cone to the area where the air comes in from outside, but that's the best I can do. My hood also has an area that is molded with rubber pieces attached to the hood, to the original funnel, so the hood seals on top of the funnel, so no air blows past it - it is all funneled into the air-box. There is a plastic rail piece that also channels the air to the funnel. Mine broke...

SO, IF you have water up that high, and is enough to fill the air box, then you are going to stall. Older liberties have a slightly different configuration.

SO, if water is up past the top of the grille, that's going into the engine...

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the water get above the exhaust it will not run unless your moving. It looses all power and its all you can do just to keep it from dying. Been there,But i think the snorkel looks good and would still like to have one.:D

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
um what?

Sorry, but ThunderbirdJunkie has been stationary with the exhaust submerged at idle more times than he can count with no ill effects.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the STOCK intake, on later models, the air-box snorkel is right where the hood meets the grille on the passenger side. I say snorkel, because that's what it is. It is an OVAL intake funnel that goes to the base of the Air Box, and pulls outside air in. The STOCK intake mine has, is more a CAI than the one I made. I repositioned my cone to the area where the air comes in from outside, but that's the best I can do. My hood also has an area that is molded with rubber pieces attached to the hood, to the original funnel, so the hood seals on top of the funnel, so no air blows past it - it is all funneled into the air-box. There is a plastic rail piece that also channels the air to the funnel. Mine broke...

SO, IF you have water up that high, and is enough to fill the air box, then you are going to stall. Older liberties have a slightly different configuration.

SO, if water is up past the top of the grille, that's going into the engine...

Any pics of your setup? I don't think I have seen that version yet.