Eaton - Detroit locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I want to start thinking about installing a locker. Rear and front. Can you confirm this is the correct part for either front or rear ?
I also would appreciate it if the parts can be posted please

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210831-171614_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210831-171614_Chrome.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 12

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like for a dana 44.

You'll want to double check the rear, but most all came with the chrysler 8.25

Front you'll want dana 30a, limited parts market, may want to confirm with the company that it's truly for a dana 30a. I had a hecks of a time finding 4.10's for a good price for the 30a, and rolled the dice with a junkyard setup.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's also pretty rare people will bump into this, but also keep in mind the part for a 3.55 and for a 3.73/4.10 are different, and not interchangeable. it's part of the reason I haven't done mine yet, as I'm still considering a ratio change. v6 sticks came with 3.55 front and rear.

Reaction score
it's also pretty rare people will bump into this, but also keep in mind the part for a 3.55 and for a 3.73/4.10 are different, and not interchangeable. it's part of the reason I haven't done mine yet, as I'm still considering a ratio change. v6 sticks came with 3.55 front and rear.
I thougtht the 2006 gassers came with 3.73, no ?

Reaction score
So would this open up anymore options for mine ?
I just looked it up and apparently I have 3.55 ratio

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So would this open up anymore options for mine ?
I just looked it up and apparently I have 3.55 ratio

Auto v6 gassers came with 3.73s and has the carrier to accept 4.10s
Manual v6 gassers came with 3.55s and would need a change of carrier for 3.73s and 4.10s

The different carriers for the 30a hold 3.55 and higher gears (lower numbers) or 3.73s and 4.10s, and stop at 4.10's. If not aware, matching gears in front and rear (4.10s/4.11s is fine if thats what you can find) are required.

As for availability, it all depends on whats in stock of the brand you end up going with, it's a lot more limited of a market compared to the dana 30, and the prices show it. I opened up the front diff cover to find 2 broken diff bearing caps when I first bought my liberty, mine has the same 3.55 gears as you. I didn't want to spend money on stock gears so I yanked out the carrier housing and have been driving in 2wd mode for the time being. I found a used carrier housing with 4.10s already in it, and will replace seals and any bad bearings/bushings. I am saving for new parts to rebuild rear with 4.10s, as I do some towing. If the junkyard parts fail I can always go back to 2wd mode and still have a vehicle at least.

Reaction score
Auto v6 gassers came with 3.73s and has the carrier to accept 4.10s
Manual v6 gassers came with 3.55s and would need a change of carrier for 3.73s and 4.10s

The different carriers for the 30a hold 3.55 and higher gears (lower numbers) or 3.73s and 4.10s, and stop at 4.10's. If not aware, matching gears in front and rear (4.10s/4.11s is fine if thats what you can find) are required.

As for availability, it all depends on whats in stock of the brand you end up going with, it's a lot more limited of a market compared to the dana 30, and the prices show it. I opened up the front diff cover to find 2 broken diff bearing caps when I first bought my liberty, mine has the same 3.55 gears as you. I didn't want to spend money on stock gears so I yanked out the carrier housing and have been driving in 2wd mode for the time being. I found a used carrier housing with 4.10s already in it, and will replace seals and any bad bearings/bushings. I am saving for new parts to rebuild rear with 4.10s, as I do some towing. If the junkyard parts fail I can always go back to 2wd mode and still have a vehicle at least.
So, if i can find a donor with 4.10s front and rear, what else would i have to change out to make it work with the 6spd ? Or is it bolt up and go ?

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if i can find a donor with 4.10s front and rear, what else would i have to change out to make it work with the 6spd ? Or is it bolt up and go ?

If the year of the donors match yours just bolt up and go.

Any year kj front end carrier housing is the same, cv axles were different sizes on diesels due to placement, but you can use your existing ones.

Rear end 05 and below have tone ring in differential and 1 wheel speed sensor above it.
06-07 have 2 wheel speed sensors moved to axle end locations.
I have been told you can use 06-07 axles in the 05 and below to make it work, couldn't hurt to double check that with someone who has done it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rear 4.10, any 03-05 will work, some early 02s you have to change the pinion which is a 5 minute job so not a huge job

Overland03Liberty

Reaction score
Rear 4.10, any 03-05 will work, some early 02s you have to change the pinion which is a 5 minute job so not a huge job
I’m new to the forum but I’ve heard that putting a locker in the front with the cast aluminum def can crack the def. Is this true? One guy told me to make the front limited slip and lock the rear.

Dave_too

Reaction score
I want to start thinking about installing a locker. Rear and front. Can you confirm this is the correct part for either front or rear ?
I also would appreciate it if the parts can be posted please
If you go to Eaton, they'll give you a list of questions they need answered to enable you to order the right locker.