Dropping the hammer tomorrow - OME lift/tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be ordering the OME kit w/927's and 948's from JBA most likely tomorrow. Will also be getting 265/70/16 Duratracs from Tirerack since they are close, along with a set of the wheels below although these aren't set in stone just yet, but they are almost as cheap as steel 16x8's and obviously lighter.

Will I need anything else, besides a new couch to sleep on? Actually, wifey is taking it pretty well considering I have only had the Jeep for 2 days. She knows me well. Anyway, here is the wheel I am considering to go on our Khaki Limited with the Duratracs....

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did JBA have the best price you could find for the OME kit?

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did JBA have the best price you could find for the OME kit?

Honestly, judging from everything I have read on the forum they have the best service which is very important to me. I have heard and read horror stories about RRO over the past 10 years when I was into Samurai's and Sidekicks. So, they were out. But really, those are the only two I know about that sell the OME stuff.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I bought my springs from sierraexpeditions.com I think. Worked out good, I don't remember why I went with them over JBA. But JBA is great.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting.
sierra expeditions has the springs, but not the shocks or struts.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on the fence with the wheels. I'd have to see it in person. I almost went to Fallon this weekend, but due to scheduling differences I didn't have to go. If I had went I'd definitely helped with your lift. Post up pics when you get it done.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on the fence with the wheels. I'd have to see it in person. I almost went to Fallon this weekend, but due to scheduling differences I didn't have to go. If I had went I'd definitely helped with your lift. Post up pics when you get it done.

Where are you at now? I appreciate the thought!
Yea, I can't find any pics of those wheels on a KJ, just Wranglers and trucks on 20's or larger. I am trying to locate a set of 5 spoke 16" factory rims like the ones below off the JBA site, with no luck. I am not crazy about the wide spoke 17" chrome ones that came on my Limited.

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those 5spoke 16" wheels are called Moabs. I believe they were on certain Jeep TJs in 2005ish...someone else will probably know the specifics...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Those 5spoke 16" wheels are called Moabs. I believe they were on certain Jeep TJs in 2005ish...someone else will probably know the specifics...

TJ Rubicon Models 2004 - 2006 I believe.
I may be confused (wouldn't be the first time... :emotions34: ), but aren't those wheels in demand? If true, you might be able to sell them off and make your wife a little happier.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Moabs were available on '02 through '07 TJ's (Wranglers) in the 16X8 size. They work really well on the KJ though the backspacing and width are different than the stock KJ wheels so there's the potential for rubbing depending on the tire.

I got mine for $300 from a Jeep parts reseller - he sold them for that cheap cuz he thought one of the wheels was way out of balance thanks to the number of wheel weights on it. I doubted the wheel was that bad but just in case I took it to my local tire shop and had them put it on the balance machine without the weights - it was perfect. I expect the previous owner had a set of tires on the wheels that were junk and badly out of balance (or way oversize) and that's why all the weights.

Somebody on another KJ forum bought a set of 5 for $150 (!!!!!) and then had them powdercoated in a beautiful graphite gray. They look spectacular and should give him a nice protective coating against scratches, corrosion, etc.

The Moabs look best with a little wider tire - I went with a 255/70-16 size and my next set of shoes this Fall will be 265/70's, probably Duratracs. Great wheels if you can find them but consider powdercoating, PlastiDip or other durable paint if the wheels have some pitting or scratches. There are aftermarket Moab-style wheels available but they cost as much as a pricey set of originals.

Bob

Last edited:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks! Now I at least know what to call them. I just posted a want to buy ad in the local 4x4 forum.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wheels ( Moabs ) were only available on 04-06 Rubicons, then there are two styles, a smooth side and a "step" side Step sides were only available in 06
There was also a special edition on the LJs in i think 05 that had graphite colored ones on it, pretty rare.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The Moabs were available on '02 through '07 TJ's (Wranglers) in the 16X8 size. They work really well on the KJ though the backspacing and width are different than the stock KJ wheels so there's the potential for rubbing depending on the tire.

Bob

03-06 only, just to keep everyone straight

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the OME kit ordered. I had thought about the Tommudd Econo kit, but Marlin is out of some of the pieces, so stuck with OME. After talking to him about our needs, he said we would be happier with the medium springs front and rear for ride quality. To make up for the sag in the softer springs, I ordered rear upper iso's, 1/4" plate spacer for the front shocks, and 1/2" clevis spacers. Hopefully it will be at least 2 1/2" lift.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the Moabs, and just have them pc'd black.

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting.
sierra expeditions has the springs, but not the shocks or struts.

Sierra expeditions carries basically every shock, sturt, and coil spring made by OME. I was going to get the OME lift but I wanted the NS131 struts and the N132L rear shocks since JBA sells there OME kit with the sport shocks and struts. Once everything is priced out and shipping costs everything was about the same from both places.