Driver's side front clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Have a clunk in the driver's front that literally only happens when pulling in my driveway (not out). Doesn't happen over any other bump. Even took it off road this weekend (Iron Range OHV area in northern MN - best park I've been to!) and it didn't make a peep.

Had play in the upper ball joint, so I replaced that. I jacked it up by the LCA and felt no play at any position on the wheel. Sway bar bushings are a few months old, end link looks good to the eye. As I drive over the curb, it clunks as the Jeep rocks. Any ideas?
Thanks!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought maybe the driveway too but the Liberty is the only one that does it.

I hadn't thought about transmission or engine mounts...hm. The other thing I thought it could be is the hole in the sway bar for the end link could be egged out and this causes it to shift. It definitely has a driver's front feel to it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's a video of revving the engine in drive then in reverse...how does that seem?

No vibrations at any RPM.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna guess end links. See if you can tighten them up. Mine made lots of clunking a while back. Finally got under it and was actually able to move the end links by hand with weight on the ground!!!

I couldn't tighten my bolts. I don't know what happened but they seized up pretty bad (probably from being loose for a while). I replaced with all new links and hardware. Nice and quiet now.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am getting a lot of wind type noise mixed in, hard to hear anything, but more like a thunk.. ha ha..
I'd be tempted to mount my thin dashcam with some electrical tape and see if I could see any movement in the end links...

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem, even on the same side. Ever figure it out?

It has gotten worse where it's not just turning in the driveway anymore. Sometimes I hear it after breaking and again after taking back off. Its getting where I can feel it sometimes in the floorboard under my left foot. Reminds me of like metal denting in or popping back out.

It's gotta be sway bar related right? Even though it feels like the arm pivots.

I'm about tempted to jam on the brakes good in my driveway and then jack it up slow and see if I can pinpoint the pop/clunk. But it won't quit raining.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the chance to just quickly jack the left front off the ground. I really thought I'd hear it pop when I did that and get a better since of where it was coming from. But no dice.

I think I am going to try braking hard to see if it pops, then try jacking it up again. Maybe tomorrow. It does seem to me that it pops and then pops back, whatever it is, if that makes sense. Like pops when it gets compressed to a certain point, then pops again once it decompresses to a certain point.

I want to say it is the front swaybar bushings, maybe because I already have them on hand lol. But with the feeling I have under my left foot it makes me look closer than all the way to the front. I guess I should jack both sides up and pry around with a crowbar to see what I find.

I think I have everything for the front swaybar on hand. Best I remember it was cold weather and it was honking going over speed bumps. But then I figured out that my balljoints were going when I was looking around. So I jumped on that first and replaced the struts and coils at the same time while that was apart. But didn't get to the rest that day. The swaybar quit honking soon as I did that. So I figured it was in a bind and had not thought about it since. I believe I have the front bushings and also the end links somewhere in a box.