Drive shaft seal at transfer case, front.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copenhagen6

Reaction score
I was under the liberty last night looking for the cause of a noise and noticed that the seal on the transfer case for the drive shaft going to the front wheels is gone. You can see inside of it and grease has been thrown about. I'm sure that if left unattended it will cause problems. So, I need to know what part I need and a quick how-to on fixing it. Someone usually has an exploded view which would help alot.
Thanks

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which transfer case? The 242 (Select-Trac)or the 231 (Command-Trac)?

These instructions are for the 242, but they're basically the same as the 231. Keep in mind that your t-case is serviced with ATF. If the seal is gone it's probally low/empty.

You must be registered for see images

copenhagen6

Reaction score
Geez, I did not know that it held ATF. Wait a second....After looking at the above picture, it may be the boot on the drive shaft itself that is missing. Yep, I'm sure now, it is the boot on the drive shaft that is just in front of the Transfer case. Sorry for the mix up. Do you have the instructions for that?

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Errr... the front dosen't appear to have a boot. The rear has a rubber boot over the slip yoke, but i don't think that the front does.

I could be wrong, but i don't see a picture of one in either the parts or the service manuals.

papasmurf42482

Reaction score
The boot is for the CV style joint on the t-case end of your front driveshaft. This will allow dirt to get into and tear up the joint in quick order. As a liberty owner and chrysler dealership tech i've seen it a few times. You will need to replace the whole front shaft as the joint is not serviceable. New is like $600 so i would start looking for a used one soon!!!! hope this helps!

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
papasmurf42482 said:
The boot is for the CV style joint on the t-case end of your front driveshaft. This will allow dirt to get into and tear up the joint in quick order. As a liberty owner and chrysler dealership tech i've seen it a few times. You will need to replace the whole front shaft as the joint is not serviceable. New is like $600 so i would start looking for a used one soon!!!! hope this helps!

God forbid chrysler use regular u-joints! :) You'll have to forgive me, i wasn't even thinking about the driveshaft this morning. Little to tired after work! \:D/

So what your saying copenhagen, is that the rubber seal around the d/s near number 7 on this image is gone? Smurf's assesment is correct, and hell, he probally knows more about it than I do! O:)

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
papasmurf42482 said:
I dont know what the f**k was so bad about good ol u-joints!!!! At least you cound chage them, and for like $15 no less!!

Chrysler engineers don't believe in "KISS" apparently. ](*,)

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid[/b]

copenhagen6

Reaction score
Yes, it is the seal right at the #7 on the above image. It is letting everything that the front tires kick up to be caught in joint. Is it possible to clean it repack it with red grease and the use the duct tape idea? I don't want to (correction) I am not going to spend $600 on a new one, so I will either find one at the salvage yard or try and flush the current one, fill it with red grease and then duct tape it until until I do find one. Thanks alot guys, and any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

copenhagen6

Reaction score
I found one at one of the local salvage yards. $100. I assume if it is not bent and the seal is in good shape, then that is best way to go. Are all of the shafts interchangable for 2002?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, Ive never seen one with a grease fitting on a libby.

If it doesnt fit, clean your joint out as best you can and pack it full of grease. You should be able to use the boot from the one you found at the junk yard on your shaft. \:D/