Drive shaft diff bearing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brawkzlit

Reaction score
So the drive shaft diff bearring is trashed and I was wondering if I have to take the whole diff apart to get to it or is there a way to get it through the diff driveshaft side

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
LOST
But I am assuming that you are talking about the pinion bearing on the rear diff ???
Correct ?
How do you know it is " trashed " ??
What is it doing exactly?

Brawkzlit

Reaction score
LOST
But I am assuming that you are talking about the pinion bearing on the rear diff ???
Correct ?
How do you know it is " trashed " ??
What is it doing exactly?
I can see the bearing is damaged badly, and I found a leak in on one of the pinion seals and when I drained the diff it barley had any fluid in it and I think that was the problem, I have the diff carrier out to get to it. Now I’m wondering if I have to measure backlash because I took it out if that’s the case imma need to find someone who know there stuff lol.

Brawkzlit

Reaction score
I can see the bearing is damaged badly, and I found a leak in on one of the pinion seals and when I drained the diff it barley had any fluid in it and I think that was the problem, I have the diff carrier out to get to it. Now I’m wondering if I have to measure backlash because I took it out if that’s the case imma need to find someone who know there stuff lol.
I have the bearing out

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Yeah, you’ll need to at least check the backlash before putting it all together.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If its been leaking, running low on fluid I would go all out and replace all bearings / seals etc in the whole diff and then when putting back together check all gears real close for unusual wear

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with tommudd. at the VERY LEAST, very closely inspect every single bearing in the differential, including the outboard wheel bearings. if its been running long without lube, those bearings have had no lube for a LONG TIME. honestly, you will most likely have to replace all of the bearings. the one single bearing that gets the most lube is the front pinion bearing. so unless you snagged something that ripped out the seal, the rest have gotten starved for oil. the real question here, is for how long.

Brawkzlit

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the advice it helped me out I think I will replace all bearings seems like the smart choice here

Brawkzlit

Reaction score
all The bearings look good from what I can see, spin good like I cleaned everything up nice. I have a couple more questions too do you guys know the pinion bearing pre load, and the other question would be if I didn’t disassemble the carrier but just took it out, will I have to set the backlash or should it already be set? Being that I didn’t disassemble it or anything

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the above link IS your life line! the answer is on page 145. but before you go there, there is one CRITACLE question, did you replace the collapsible spacer (sometimes called a crush sleeve) between the two bearings on the pinion gear? it is IMPARATIVE that you do! / as far as adjusting backlash, every bevel gear set i have worked on requires it. its not a big deal to do. the only "special tool" you will need is a magnetic base and dial indicator. its simply a matter of moving the ring gear closer or further away to get the backlash correct. i have not done anything to my rear axle, so i don't know for certain if they use shims to adjust the lash, or if it has threaded adjusters. every Mopar rear axle that i HAVE worked on, has had the treaded adjusters.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Yup, I don't have the tools or training in my experience to work on ring/pinion setup, so I pay an expert. It's strictly peace of mind and a good night's sleep.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes he is working on a 2006 corporate 8.25 & only use Dino (not synthetic gear lube) Lucas heavy duty 85w-140 is great stuff.
I inspect for leaks & remove my fill plug every 6 months, to make sure it's topped up.