Drive shaft diff bearing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Want to know what actually the composition of Mopar Limited slip additive is ??
Nasty stuff Mopar uses.
My buddy is a GM guy, 700hp Chevelle, googled and he is right.
See below:
"The whale oil was an additive to the GM differential oil that was used with the positraction. Whale oil has always been expensive, and its industrial usage was limited to being used only when absolutely necessary."

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes whale oil was indeed used as a major lubricant for many proposes. Today there also is synthetic versions of whale oil.
GM today recommends using # 88900330 and you will find their LS additives are also not exactly friendly either.
That being said, always refer to your owners manual regarding any fluids & additives.
The correct (Trac-Loc) clutch based locker, limited slip additive is # 04318060AD.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I missed where he said he was working on the rear diff.

Since you have removed the carrier, you have no option but to check backlash when installing the carrier since the 8.25 uses side adjusters. Read the FSM closely, it will tell you how to setup the rear diff. I found it odd in that you cannot read one section in the FSM, you need to rear the the entire section on the rear diff and piece together how to install the pinion and carrier... Its not listed in order in the FSM...

You'll need at least 1 tool for the side adjusters. I broke down and ordered another when I got tired of moving it back and forth.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.