does size matter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I'm so new to off road vehicles I need a sign when I go off road "student driver"

Looking at tire and wheel options and found a set of 18" wheels that I like. I guess the question is how crucial is wheel height versus tire height. I understand having some sidewall height is important. I saw a set of grabbers that fit the wheel so could still get a quality tread. Planning on a lift, wheels and tires at the same time. So the question is stay with 16" and get taller tires or go with the 18" with less side wall and better looks imop.
02 renegade 80 on road 20% off is the plan for now

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Offroading its better to have more sidewall to flex over everything.
18s are good for the street or larger 35 inch and above IMO
Also 18s don't look that well I don't think on a KJ even lifted 3 inches or so

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16" with grabbers on a stock 03'. Stick to 16s.

czarkj-albums-my-jeep-picture4220-img-0752.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 18

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16's all the way. Stay with the stock wheels so you dont feel bad when the get scratched up.

mongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going to keep the factory set nice and buy some aftermarket black wheels and tires to go off road with, kind of figured 16 would be the way to go but figured I would ask.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your lifting step down to 15" rims(aftermarket 15" steel rims do work),better selection of tires,cheaper,and can get load range C tires in a 15" rim so no need to get the super heavy load range D or E.You don't want a P metric tire for any type of offroading.

What some of you guy's pay for 16" and 17" tires I can buy 35x12.50x15's for my KJ for just about the same price at full retail.

mongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if I step down to 15" what is the max wheel and tire size that would fit?

rim size=15
bolt pattern=
rim width=
offset=
backspacing=

would like the tallest widest tire/wheel combo that will fit without cutting anything on the jeep.

Tire Finder: find Tires by Size, Vehicle, Brand at Belle Tire

I don't know which lift I am going with but it will either be the oem, or the frankenlift. Sorry trying to read as many of the older threads as possible before asking all the new guy questions:emotions133:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steel rims like Crager's(Unique Steel wheels makes them along with Procraps and american racing steel wheels) will fit the KJ in the 15" size with 4" or less of back spacing.

The best best with your run of the mill KJ lift 31x10.50x15's mounted on a 15x7 rims with 4" of back spacing is the best option.Pretty much the same as mounting 245/75R16's on a 16x7 rim with 4" of back spacing but the 31x10.50's will be about 1" wider and just a tad taller.

Stick with a 7" rim,to many problems with 8" rims till you get to the tire sizes where the tires are 12.50" or wider then a 8" rim works best.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Most people are 80 % on road
I know I am and still run Duratracs, when I go down to the farm I want to go where I want, when I want.
Plus with almost 59,000 on them they are doing quite well as far as mileage
Plus I like a little hum on the road :happy107:

mongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got my first taste of "you want to do what? on a liberty?" today. Went to three local tire stores today, two national chains and one local. I gave them the wheel size 15x7 with 4" of backspace. All three went to the computer and said hmmmm. The one guy said the breaks will over heat if you run 15" the other said they wont fit. Then I gave them the tire size 31x10.5x15 general grabber at2 and they said they wont fit the wheel. Then got the book out and said oh I guess they will fit the wheel. I can get a set of 4 tires off line for 550 and the wheels for 60ish each. The one store that gave me a price said 1100. I am mounting them myself so just need the tires put on the wheels and balance. When they guy asked where I got the sizes from I said people who have spent money on and own liberty's with lift experiance. I feel like if it's not on a computer screen they can't figure it out, like trying to get change from a 10 dollar bill from the window at mcdonalds with the machine down. Then the guy who asked about the info said well that tire size won't be made much longer. All of them looked lost as soon as I said the word liberty+lift together. So at this point do I just order what I want and have someone mount the tires and balance them and be done? :wtf2::Rant::beatdeadhorse5:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got my first taste of "you want to do what? on a liberty?" today. Went to three local tire stores today, two national chains and one local. I gave them the wheel size 15x7 with 4" of backspace. All three went to the computer and said hmmmm. The one guy said the breaks will over heat if you run 15" the other said they wont fit. Then I gave them the tire size 31x10.5x15 general grabber at2 and they said they wont fit the wheel. Then got the book out and said oh I guess they will fit the wheel. I can get a set of 4 tires off line for 550 and the wheels for 60ish each. The one store that gave me a price said 1100. I am mounting them myself so just need the tires put on the wheels and balance. When they guy asked where I got the sizes from I said people who have spent money on and own liberty's with lift experiance. I feel like if it's not on a computer screen they can't figure it out, like trying to get change from a 10 dollar bill from the window at mcdonalds with the machine down. Then the guy who asked about the info said well that tire size won't be made much longer. All of them looked lost as soon as I said the word liberty+lift together. So at this point do I just order what I want and have someone mount the tires and balance them and be done? :wtf2::Rant::beatdeadhorse5:

Do it that way because most shops have no idea what they are doing when it comes down to a lift+liberty. Order the parts you want and know will fit and tell them to put it on. If they say they won't fit tell them otherwise or take your business else where.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes just order what you want, it sounds like what you are ordering will fit ( you have the correct size wheel etc
as far as shops knowing what fits etc, there are few "old school" tire guys left, everyone has to have a College Degree to sell tires these days, and have no clue but what the computer says
Wildman and I delivered a set of wheels up in Michigan today to a KJ newbie. On the way to meet us the guy stopped at a 4 wheel drive shop somewhere and was asking about lifts. They were going to look up prices for a "BODY LIFT" for him. Shows you exactly how much they know about KJs:icon_sad:
We tried to set him on the right path, I even had my "JeepinByAl" t-shirt on today so maybe he'll remember :anitoof:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes just order what you want, it sounds like what you are ordering will fit ( you have the correct size wheel etc
as far as shops knowing what fits etc, there are few "old school" tire guys left, everyone has to have a College Degree to sell tires these days, and have no clue but what the computer says
Wildman and I delivered a set of wheels up in Michigan today to a KJ newbie. On the way to meet us the guy stopped at a 4 wheel drive shop somewhere and was asking about lifts. They were going to look up prices for a "BODY LIFT" for him. Shows you exactly how much they know about KJs:icon_sad:
We tried to set him on the right path, I even had my "JeepinByAl" t-shirt on today so maybe he'll remember :anitoof:

They have t-shirts!?