Diffs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's another question. A locker or a lsd in the front...won't that wear out pretty fast? Or eat tires? Put strain on the CV's?

If you take a turn the wheel that's on the outside lane spins faster then the one on the inside lane. The KJ has no lockable hubs so cv's and diff + driveshaft spin all the time the car moves.

So if the lsd or locker kicks in every time when there's a difference in left/right wheel rpm's :eek:

eeeh....anyone?
I have had the TT up front for 33,000 miles with no problems,USAFCOP over on L.O.S.T. has had the ARB up front for about the same miles with no problems.The TT won't "work" without torque applied to it,when in 4wd you know it's up there but virtually invisible in 2wd,the steering wheel does return to center faster with the TT up front.

Cav-15

Reaction score
hey tjkj with the ARB Air Locker will the esp system be eliminated or with it cause problems? I have an 06 sport and wanted to be able to lock the rear when on the trail. And if you don't mind me asking (off topic) who sprayed the bed liner on your kj, i want this done to mine first thing, and was thinking of doing the whole thing, or just the bottom third similar to yours..

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey tjkj with the ARB Air Locker will the esp system be eliminated or with it cause problems? I have an 06 sport and wanted to be able to lock the rear when on the trail. And if you don't mind me asking (off topic) who sprayed the bed liner on your kj, i want this done to mine first thing, and was thinking of doing the whole thing, or just the bottom third similar to yours..
A LSD(like the TT) or the ARB air locker shouldn't mess with the traction control system,if anything it should lessen the activation of it.As far as the ESP it may throw it all to whack,but who nknows since no one has installed LSD's or lockers on a ESP KJ yet.

As far as the bedliner I sprayed it myself,it's the Mortan's TBL spray-on bedliner.

Cav-15

Reaction score
great, so i guess i get to be the guinea pig for that one. I have plans on installing one around June or so after my bonus comes in.. So I am sure i will find some more questions to ask of you.. I'll check out the spray and see if i can find some.. Thanks

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great, so i guess i get to be the guinea pig for that one. I have plans on installing one around June or so after my bonus comes in.. So I am sure i will find some more questions to ask of you.. I'll check out the spray and see if i can find some.. Thanks
Here is there web site----http://www.uschem.com/index.cfm?page=products&catid=21&pid=2-----I just call them and find a local place to get it at,you will need the special applicator spray gun and a air compressor that has at least a 14CFM output.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking that with the lockers locked the ESP will not activate because both wheels will be spinning at the same rate. I am guessing a good LSD won't change they way it works if LSD activated before ESP. But keep in mind there is a partial off switch for ESP. It turns off the traction control part but leaves the limited slip portion of ESP on, basically giving more time for the real LSD to activate. The owners manual explains it better. Download it here.

Cav-15

Reaction score
sweet... i have a compressor that can handle it. How hard is the prep to spray it. do I to sand any paint or just clean well and spray on?

Oh and if you don't mind what did you real locker run ya? and did you do the install?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet... i have a compressor that can handle it. How hard is the prep to spray it. do I to sand any paint or just clean well and spray on?

Oh and if you don't mind what did you real locker run ya? and did you do the install?
You have to sand the paint with 120 grit or coarser grit,can't be sprayed on the non-painted textured plastic stuff.

My rear ARB was $750,$150 for the compressor,and I installed it myself but most good 4x4 shops will install it for about $300-$400.

Cav-15

Reaction score
Well I have turned a wrench or two in my time so I was thinking of taking a weekend with a few friends and doing the install by myself. At least that way I could stay under a grand. It's alot of $$$ already but I feel I need it. We do allot of off the trail kind of camping in the wilderness and i can't afford to get stuck because i didn't have a locker..

Latest posts

Members online