Decisions, decisions on brand and size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only reason I brought up the AT3's was because the ATW is just the winter version for the most part :blah: I'd be afraid they'd wear out quickly in anything over 45 degrees. I'd love a set of the ST Maxx too but the deal on AT3's and Toyo A/T's is way better.

From what I have read the AT/Ws are winter rated but have the same make up as the AT3s, so not the softer rubber that is on most winter only tires
What has me though is the fact they don't list them in the size I want on the Cooper site, but Tread Depot does?? :shrug::icon_lol:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw them in person at the tire shop and while they are no mud tire, they looked more aggressive than the FS dest. The guy didn't seem all that keen on them. Nothing like the grabbers or duratrac. Probably mild for you. :gr_grin:

I did go back and look at them some more, they could be a possibility depending on some other things, they only come in the 265-70s so they would work

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have read the AT/Ws are winter rated but have the same make up as the AT3s, so not the softer rubber that is on most winter only tires
What has me though is the fact they don't list them in the size I want on the Cooper site, but Tread Depot does?? :shrug::icon_lol:

If Cooper doesn't list it, they don't have it... I can check through my cooper supplier tomorrow at work but 99% sure if Cooper doesn't list the size then it isn't in what you want.. Rats :thumbsdown:

True about the ATW's though, it's all the sipes in the tire that I feel might build up more heat than necessary and cause premature tread wear. Eh, who knows yet, I've yet to put them on anything.

Last edited:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tomm, I can confirm that Cooper DOES as a matter of fact make the A/TW in a 265/70/16... Product code at my work is CP 22159. Huh, wonder why they won't list it on their site....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tomm, I can confirm that Cooper DOES as a matter of fact make the A/TW in a 265/70/16... Product code at my work is CP 22159. Huh, wonder why they won't list it on their site....

Man that is crazy, see I was looking on other tire sites and they listed that size. Last night I was rereading on the Cooper site and didn't see that size listed and was like WTH?
So they do in fact have them,
Thank I really appreciate you looking it up and making sure !
At least it sort of proves I'm not totally nuts:icon_lol:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that is crazy, see I was looking on other tire sites and they listed that size. Last night I was rereading on the Cooper site and didn't see that size listed and was like WTH?
So they do in fact have them,
Thank I really appreciate you looking it up and making sure !
At least it sort of proves I'm not totally nuts:icon_lol:

Yea it's weird they won't list it.... Wanna buy a set?? Get 'em shipped to my Ohio stores :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea it's weird they won't list it.... Wanna buy a set?? Get 'em shipped to my Ohio stores :gr_grin:

Really ?
OK send me a PM on who you work for, prices etc
Sure would appreciate it a lot !
May even send ya a Valentines Day card if its a good enough deal :shrug::happy175:

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have set of kumho but its mt kl71. Mud terrain, 10 ply, looks like an inch of tread. Unreasonably heavy, i know. Rides surprisingly good considering mud tire.

You dont always have to get name brand. Kumho and hankook have been on korean cars for while. While i cant speak for quality of korean cars, tires on them ride real good.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have set of kumho but its mt kl71. Mud terrain, 10 ply, looks like an inch of tread. Unreasonably heavy, i know. Rides surprisingly good considering mud tire.

You dont always have to get name brand. Kumho and hankook have been on korean cars for while. While i cant speak for quality of korean cars, tires on them ride real good.

Toyo is a Japanese company, but reputable in all aspects. Some are made overseas, some in the U.S. :emotions34: Michelin is a French company for those who don't know...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Toyo is a Japanese company, but reputable in all aspects. Some are made overseas, some in the U.S. :emotions34: Michelin is a French company for those who don't know...

When a new load of Michelins came in they still had their French accent, but after being around us for a while they sounded more American! :ROFLJest:

Ran one set of them back in the late 70s, was ok but never was impressed enough to fork over the money they wanted . Used to sell alot of them but mainly because of thats what was on their cars before

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never ran toyo so idk much but michelins ive seen so far have habit of dryrotting too quick. Maybe its the way it is made, coincidence, or too busy cooking up list of restaurants around the world idk.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When a new load of Michelins came in they still had their French accent, but after being around us for a while they sounded more American! :ROFLJest:

Ran one set of them back in the late 70s, was ok but never was impressed enough to fork over the money they wanted . Used to sell alot of them but mainly because of thats what was on their cars before

I've never ran toyo so idk much but michelins ive seen so far have habit of dryrotting too quick. Maybe its the way it is made, coincidence, or too busy cooking up list of restaurants around the world idk.

I've run on a couple set of the LTX M/S 2's on a plow truck and loved them compared to freight train Bridgestones that were stock... Michelin has had some recent issues with the compounds that make up the tread wearing out to quickly, but luckily their customer service has been top notch in getting them replaced at a fraction of the cost.

I've never really seen issues with dry rot unless someone rarely drove the car and had them on for ten years or the excessive use of tire shine... My god do I hate tire shine. Worst shit ever for your tires. Dry rot is typical to a certain degree, if it's more than 3 mm then you're talking issues.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Any interest in Cooper ST Maxx? I had a set on my Renegade they were great tires while I had it. My dad has some on a Z71 Tahoe and my brother had them on Z71 Sierra. Long lasting, aggressive, minimal road noise.

Don't mean to hijack but has anyone every ran 255/75R16's on 3.73's? They're only 0.5" taller than 245/75R16 and a little wider. I just wonder how much of a difference that 0.5" would make.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Any interest in Cooper ST Maxx? I had a set on my Renegade they were great tires while I had it. My dad has some on a Z71 Tahoe and my brother had them on Z71 Sierra. Long lasting, aggressive, minimal road noise.

Don't mean to hijack but has anyone every ran 255/75R16's on 3.73's? They're only 0.5" taller than 245/75R16 and a little wider. I just wonder how much of a difference that 0.5" would make.

Would need to regear , even 245-75-16s its best to since you'll gain back power and gas mileage as well . Have quite a number with 245-75 or 265-70 ( same height basically ) running 4.10s now
as far as the Cooper ST Maxx not really interested in them, nor will I need them on this build
Still have my 04 with larger tires, lower gears for fun off road

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Would need to regear , even 245-75-16s its best to since you'll gain back power and gas mileage as well . Have quite a number with 245-75 or 265-70 ( same height basically ) running 4.10s now
as far as the Cooper ST Maxx not really interested in them, nor will I need them on this build
Still have my 04 with larger tires, lower gears for fun off road

I gotcha well I'm going to look into 265 70's, I didn't realize the extra width would clear very well. I found a set of MOAB's locally on craigslist decided to get them and will be powder coating them black instead of the factory 17's I have now.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I gotcha well I'm going to look into 265 70's, I didn't realize the extra width would clear very well. I found a set of MOAB's locally on craigslist decided to get them and will be powder coating them black instead of the factory 17's I have now.

Moabs and 265-70-16 work great

Latest posts

Members online