Decisions, decisions on brand and size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
New build will start soon on the 2003
Have small lift coming , 2.5 inch
have 5 Moabs waiting
have all skids, 4.10s, Mudds rear bumper, etc waiting
Tires..............Duratracs are still my favorite by far but want to try something different on this one
More than likely sticking to small tires on this build, ( 265-70-16s )
Short list
1) Nitto Terra Grapplers
2) Cooper Discoverer AT/W
3) Kumho Road Venture AT51
4) Hercules TerraTrac AT2

No will never run Generals / Michelin's / BFG's etc

So.............:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of choices for sure Tom.
Would you consider Silent Armor's as they are available in USA I see...
Tough thick sidewalls, relatively quiet, and overall great traction, M&S rated.
I know I would like GY MTR's but I think I would loose some fuel mileage as they are heavy!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested to see why you want to try the Coopers and the Kumhos but not the Hankook Dynapros. Simply the name?

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1-kumho
2-nitto
3- cooper
4-hercules

would be my picks

Gyro

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of choices for sure Tom.
Would you consider Silent Armor's as they are available in USA I see...
Tough thick sidewalls, relatively quiet, and overall great traction, M&S rated.
I know I would like GY MTR's but I think I would loose some fuel mileage as they are heavy!

Duratracs are heavy? Mine weren't even running 265-75-16s
Silent Armors are OK but just not quite what I am looking for

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Interested to see why you want to try the Coopers and the Kumhos but not the Hankook Dynapros. Simply the name?

I've looked at them, read reviews on about 20 different forums and just something about them doesn't give me the warm fuzzies !:happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
1-kumho
2-nitto
3- cooper
4-hercules

would be my picks

Gyro

Thats pretty much my 1,2,3 list as well

Now to find a tire shop around here that actually wants to sell me what I want, not what they are trying to get rid of.
Nittos I can get through JBA, No one locally has the Coopers and are hesitant to even say they will order them

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've loved the Terra Grappler's I've had on the KJ (second set now) and on the LR3 (second set now too). Will get the Terra Grappler G2s next round on each of them and the WK when the factory tires wear out.

Had a Hecules Terra track as a spare once, looked alright but seemed like a budget tire. On the KJ I have a matching set of 5 Terras so I'm doing a 5 tire rotation.

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have 5 Moabs waiting
Tires..............Duratracs are still my favorite by far but want to try something different on this one
Short list
1) Nitto Terra Grapplers

Just courious as to why you would never run those specific brand of tires?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just courious as to why you would never run those specific brand of tires?

Was in the tire business for quite a number of years, managing and owning tire stores where we sold almost every type/brand of tire.
Just certain brands that either do not hold up or you are more buying a name that anything else
Like BFGs, sold them, ran them on a couple of mine but only due to incredible deals from the manufacturer. The new generation of BFGs was suppose to be so much better but reviews by people I respect and trust do not pan out. Just better tire brands/ tires out there IMP

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much brand loyalty here. I've been curious about those Kumho ATs. Had a lesser set of Kumhos on my subaru but they didn't fair so well.

I just got a set of Kellys on the KJ and they look a whole lot like the Cooper Disc ATs and the Mastercraft Courser. I like the looks and reviews for the Coopers. I guess the Kellys are sort of Goodyears now. Goodyears on my 11 Avenger are okay. The Kellys were sort of an emergency and never had a set before. I'll know more after I drive them this week. I'm not a General or BFG fan either. Poor performers for me.

I like the FS Dest ATs on my Ranger.

Michelin's are good but way too pricey. The Kellys replaced a set of Michelins with way over 90k on them. Probably had some more mileage on them but two had slow leaks and one had a not so slow leak. All we've run on our minivan are Michelins two and a half sets and almost 200k.

Hope you let us know what you choose.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much brand loyalty here. I've been curious about those Kumho ATs. Had a lesser set of Kumhos on my subaru but they didn't fair so well.

I just got a set of Kellys on the KJ and they look a whole lot like the Cooper Disc ATs and the Mastercraft Courser. I like the looks and reviews for the Coopers. I guess the Kellys are sort of Goodyears now. Goodyears on my 11 Avenger are okay. The Kellys were sort of an emergency and never had a set before. I'll know more after I drive them this week. I'm not a General or BFG fan either. Poor performers for me.

I like the FS Dest ATs on my Ranger.

Michelin's are good but way too pricey. The Kellys replaced a set of Michelins with way over 90k on them. Probably had some more mileage on them but two had slow leaks and one had a not so slow leak. All we've run on our minivan are Michelins two and a half sets and almost 200k.

Hope you let us know what you choose.

Kelly IS owned by Goodyear. Just like Cooper and Mastercraft are the same company. Kelly has come out with some better product over the past year IMO the Edge A/T and Edge A/S have so far seemed to perform decently well for the price range. I'm no FS guy to be honest, some love 'em, some hate 'em, meh...

The new BFG KO2's I've liked from my own experience so far, I haven't slapped a set on my truck, but on my buddies Tahoe they've rode nice, handled well and did great in the bit of snow we've had. A co-worker of mine threw them on his 09 2500 Chevy and plows with them, so far likes them a lot.

I plan (Hopefully this week or next) getting a set of Toyo A/T II's, I've never personally owned a set and have always wanted them and I've got a pretty incredible deal on a set of 285/70/17's for my truck. Should go nice with the SuspensionMaxx level I've got for her! :gr_grin:

have 5 Moabs waiting
Short list
1) Nitto Terra Grapplers

Tomm -- Personally, I wouldn't fair towards the Cooper ATW's... Why not the A/T3? Or even the S/T Maxx?

If I went Nitto, I'd get the Terra Grappler G2's. Better ride, longer lasting, just as good looking...:mexsmoke: Not really into Kumho or Hercules though...

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kelly has come out with some better product over the past year IMO the Edge A/T and Edge A/S have so far seemed to perform decently well for the price range.

I looked at the Edge ATs their tread looked real good but a bit more aggressive a tread than what I need and what the Safari ATRs I got have. The Edge were less expensive but wanted the 245/70/16 and the Safaris were in stock. Mine doesn't get challenged much and no lift yet.

Used Mastercraft many times back in the day, always good stuff. Cooper makes tons anymore, Mastercraft, Futura, Hercules, Starfire, Definity and I think a few more. Have Starfires on the Subaru now and like them.

I've heard very good things about Toyo but none around me. :party52:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at the Edge ATs their tread looked real good but a bit more aggressive a tread than what I need and what the Safari ATRs I got have. The Edge were less expensive but wanted the 245/70/16 and the Safaris were in stock. Mine doesn't get challenged much and no lift yet.

Used Mastercraft many times back in the day, always good stuff. Cooper makes tons anymore, Mastercraft, Futura, Hercules, Starfire, Definity and I think a few more. Have Starfires on the Subaru now and like them.

True, Cooper owns A LOT of smaller brands, the deciding factor is where those brands are made... For me, anyway.

I've installed countless amounts of the 35x12.50 Toyo A/T's and M/T's and have rode around on those while delivering the trucks to auction and the short drive was always nice, so... Why the hell not? :emotions34:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom -- Personally, I wouldn't fair towards the Cooper ATW's... Why not the A/T3? Or even the S/T Maxx?

If I went Nitto, I'd get the Terra Grappler G2's. Better ride, longer lasting, just as good looking...:mexsmoke: Not really into Kumho or Hercules though...

Everyone has the AT3s , plus don't like the terad design as much as I thought I would when they came out. The AT/Ws have been getting some really good reviews The STMaxx no not on this one, next buildup on one of the other KJs maybe

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On the Kili Edition I ran the Firestone Destination ATs installed before it had 10,000 miles on it sold them before they had 20,000 miles on them
Then Kumho AT51s ok tire, but too small, ( 255-70-16s)
Then went for a very short time 245-75-16 Goodyear MTR s
Next was a set of BFG ATs that I traded some parts for, only thing the guy had worth anything, thought I'd try them again, within 5000 miles sold them, bad trade LOL
Then the Goodyear Duratracs , loved every mile with them
But this build like I said is being built different and very few tires seem to fit into what I want on it :emotions34:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I must be looking at the wrong Edge ATs , seemed to be just a street tire to me , did I miss something? :shrug:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must be looking at the wrong Edge ATs , seemed to be just a street tire to me , did I miss something? :shrug:

I saw them in person at the tire shop and while they are no mud tire, they looked more aggressive than the FS dest. The guy didn't seem all that keen on them. Nothing like the grabbers or duratrac. Probably mild for you. :gr_grin:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone has the AT3s , plus don't like the terad design as much as I thought I would when they came out. The AT/Ws have been getting some really good reviews The STMaxx no not on this one, next buildup on one of the other KJs maybe

Only reason I brought up the AT3's was because the ATW is just the winter version for the most part :blah: I'd be afraid they'd wear out quickly in anything over 45 degrees. I'd love a set of the ST Maxx too but the deal on AT3's and Toyo A/T's is way better.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They're a more entry level so-so A/T. I put them on a lot of the Comcast vans for commercial use. The service techs seem to like them so far.