Running 245/75R16 Tires on Stock Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kregghensley

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've got a stock 2004 KJ 4x4 Limited that I'd like to run 245/75R16 tires on my stock rims (may get some of the older Rubicon rims if I stumble across a good deal someday). I will be running either Goodyear DuraTracs, BFG T/A KO, or Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX. I've done some browsing on this site to find out what needs to be done in order to get these tires to fit and have a vehicle that still performs well. I've gotten this info in bits and pieces, so I would like to summarize it here to make sure I'm on the right track.

Here is what I have gathered so far:

1. Re-gearing for 245/75R16 tires is not necessary with the stock KJ Limited 3.73 gear ratio.

2. A 3" suspension lift is needed to fit the tires with no rubbing. A 2.5" suspension lift can work but with minor trimming and pounding the pinch welds.

3. It's better to go with a suspension lift that replaces struts, shocks, springs, etc. to improve ride quality and prevent sagging.

Am I on the right track here? I do not want to fool with re-gearing, so feel free to let me know if I should look at running a smaller tire size. Thanks!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Liberty will preform well with 245/75/16. Would plan on pounding pinch weld,just to be sure. A shock/spring lift is the way to go. 10,000 threads on them. Had a Frankenlift,worked well.Quick and easy install being it's big selling point to me.
Pic of 245/75/16-no lift-how close to pinch weld/plastic liner.

You must be registered for see images attach

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 245/75/16 and am running stock rims. I also have 1.25 wheel spacers on as to avoid rubbing on suspension components and to improve stance and handling after lift. I am also running OME/Bilstien with NO clevis lift and NO rear iso's. minor trimming was needed and pounding of the pinch weld was a must. As for gearing. It's not needed with this tire size but I honestly wish I had 4.10's and will upgrade eventually but I also live in CO and mountain passes can bog it down quite a bit.

Hotel55

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I have a 2004 Liberty Sport with the Trail Rated badge (idk if that makes a difference,) and I have been thinking about getting 245/75/16s, I was wondering if a 1 inch body lift would keep me from having to have any body work done to accommodate the tires?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I have a 2004 Liberty Sport with the Trail Rated badge (idk if that makes a difference,) and I have been thinking about getting 245/75/16s, I was wondering if a 1 inch body lift would keep me from having to have any body work done to accommodate the tires?

Can't body lift a unibody. Gotta do a full suspension lift.

kregghensley

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback from ridenby and VAhlene. It sounds like you guys have some mixed reviews about running this tire size without re-gearing.

My KJ is my daily driver and I commute a couple of days a week. I may need to stick with a smaller tire size since I don't want to re-gear and would like to avoid hurting my Jeep's performance. Given that my KJ already has 155,000 miles on it, I'm not sure I want to take the 4.10 plunge. I guess 245/75R16 is right on the edge of the performance threshold....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback from ridenby and VAhlene. It sounds like you guys have some mixed reviews about running this tire size without re-gearing.

My KJ is my daily driver and I commute a couple of days a week. I may need to stick with a smaller tire size since I don't want to re-gear and would like to avoid hurting my Jeep's performance. Given that my KJ already has 155,000 miles on it, I'm not sure I want to take the 4.10 plunge. I guess 245/75R16 is right on the edge of the performance threshold....
You may notice some loss of mileage and some loss of power but it won't be dramatic
But then a lot depends on which tires you choose as well there can be quite a bit of difference in tire weight between say a AT type tire and a full on mud tire

BlackRenegade.37

Reaction score
I have 245/75/16 and am running stock rims. I also have 1.25 wheel spacers on as to avoid rubbing on suspension components and to improve stance and handling after lift. I am also running OME/Bilstien with NO clevis lift and NO rear iso's. minor trimming was needed and pounding of the pinch weld was a must. As for gearing. It's not needed with this tire size but I honestly wish I had 4.10's and will upgrade eventually but I also live in CO and mountain passes can bog it down quite a bit.
old reply bro but can i please see a picture

RockinRam96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will 245/75/16s work with stock suspension? Kind of sounds like they will but may have some minor rubbing, is that correct?

If not? What is needed? Thinking 245/75s is all I am looking for at the moment.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will 245/75/16s work with stock suspension? Kind of sounds like they will but may have some minor rubbing, is that correct?

If not? What is needed? Thinking 245/75s is all I am looking for at the moment.
They will not work on the stock suspension. You need a 2.5-3” lift. See the first post in this thread.

Latest posts

Members online