Debating Mopar fog lights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i have searched on here and come up with a couple of discussions weather the liberty has most of the necessary wiring for the mopar fog lights or not. i could not come up with a good conclusion as to weather my 06 sport has it or not. i would like to possibly get just the lamps and any mounting hardware and wire in my own dash switch (maybe the one from the light bar) because i have heard of many faulty multiswitches from the mopar or OEM fog lights. anyone know where i can find just the lights so i can work my own magic with them? any help appreciated. and feel free to chime in at any time Ry. :)

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your Liberty did not come from the factory with fog lights the wiring is not there. Also if you plan to use the lightbar switch it is not as straight forward as using a simple toggle switch as the lightbar switch is a single throw momentary switch.

RedKJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went with the mopar fog kit that comes with everything you need to install them. Came with the wiring, a relay, the fogs, and the multi-switch which I have had zero problems with. Makes such a clean install when finished and the fog light indicator in the dash even works as it should. I had considered going your route but in the end I am glad I went with the whole kit. I would say about 99% of the people can' tell if they were added or factory. But without the kit the liberty has nothing as far as wiring, relays, or anything that would make adding the lights alone super easy; but no reason it couldn't be done.

Last edited:

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went with the mopar fog kit that comes with everything you need to install them. Came with the wiring, the a relay, the fogs, the multi switch which I have had zero problems with. Makes such a clean install when finished and the fog light indicator in the dash even works as it should. I had considered going your route but in the end I am glad I went with the whole kit. I would say about 90% of the people couldn't tell if they were added or factory. But without the kit the liberty has nothing as far as wiring, relays, or anything that would make adding the lights alone super easy but no reason it couldn't be done.

x2

Yes, I bought Mopar one and fitted them, no one call tell the difference. Only think with the Mopar Kit ( and probably it might have been me) the wiring diagram might not be 100% accurate as the dashboard light isn't working correctly, but as I said that miight just be me :shrug: :disgust:

Fil.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question. do you have to have your headlights on to run them? i like the look of just running lights and fog lights.

RedKJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question. do you have to have your headlights on to run them? i like the look of just running lights and fog lights.

If you wire them per the Mopar directions the fogs will only work with the headlights, but if you tie into the parking light wire instead of the headlight wire then they will work with the parking lights on as they should; and as an added bonus they will also stay on with the high-beams on as well:icon_twisted:

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you wire them per the Mopar directions the fogs will only work with the headlights, but if you tie into the parking light wire instead of the headlight wire then they will work with the parking lights on as they should; and as an added bonus they will also stay on with the high-beams on as well:icon_twisted:

ah yes I forgot we were talking about the MOPAR foglights and not the factory-equipped ones. One note though if you intend to hook them up to your parking lights they will be illegal as they must by law turn off when you turn your highbeams on.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Illegal schmillegal :p my theory is when you have your hi beams on you need more light! Not to cut out light. Ok. So i think you all have convinced me on the mopar lights, so if I order a kit online it will come with everything I need because I do not have any wiring, that I know of. Thank you all for the help.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Illegal schmillegal :p my theory is when you have your hi beams on you need more light! Not to cut out light. Ok. So i think you all have convinced me on the mopar lights, so if I order a kit online it will come with everything I need because I do not have any wiring, that I know of. Thank you all for the help.

I hear ya, I have mine wired the illegal way, really the only time it comes into question is if your state does safety inspections. as for the kit, yes it will come with everything you need.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, I have mine wired the illegal way, really the only time it comes into question is if your state does safety inspections. as for the kit, yes it will come with everything you need.

I remember looking up the Michigan Law and it stated that you may have no more than four forward-facing lights illuminated at any given time. Ohio is five.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.17

Can't find the Tennessee law yet...

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but some states require fog lights to turn off with high beams. I couldn't tell you which ones though. Hell. I'm thinking about just using an ignition hot source instead of either running lights or even headlights.

Well that is unless the switch gets pulled back in with no lights on. Sorry for my ignorance on the functions of the multiswitch.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yes, but some states require fog lights to turn off with high beams. I couldn't tell you which ones though. Hell. I'm thinking about just using an ignition hot source instead of either running lights or even headlights.

Well that is unless the switch gets pulled back in with no lights on. Sorry for my ignorance on the functions of the multiswitch.

For all the British Colombian's here:

Fog lamps

4.11 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.

(2) Each fog lamp must be
(a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and
(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.
(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.
(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.
[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score

NOT just some states, it is a USDOT regulation which means all cars registered in the United States have to comply.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the dealer wants $240+ tax. Sorry I'm kinda new to the jeep aftermarket scene, where would a good online place be to buy them and save a few bucks? I know I have seen them for $215 or so but I don't know the good places to buy.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
another "blinder" on the road
wish people would really read the true facts about HIDs and their negative effects

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
That's OK Tom .. someday at least one of them will get the point ... when I'm blinded and heading toward their front windshield!

It's becoming my pet peev ... out here in the country they blind you worse at night.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.