Dealer Greed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I passed up buying a low-mileage 2007 KJ because the Dealer got greedy.
The Jeep was for sale about 100 miles from my location, so in a phone call, I negotiated what I thought was a fair price, contingent on my checking out the car in person.
When my offer was approved by Management, I asked for the final out-the-door price, which included Tax, Title, a Transfer Plates fee and Registration.
I knew I'd have to pay those, but I was shocked when they also wanted a $995 Dealer Fee.
Naturally, I said No Way!!!
I am not about to pay that outrageous amount for one of those phony dealer-screws-the-buyer fees.
They whined that was the only profit they were making on the deal (which I know was a damn lie), and when they refused to budge, I said No Thanks and hung up.
Maybe I passed up a great KJ, but I'm sure I can eventually find a similar Jeep closer to home for a lot less money.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
995$ dealer fee sounds ridiculous to me too! I don't blame you for passing that up. I recently bought an 05 from a non Mopar dealer and it had the standard 300$ dealer fee. Like yours, this did not include the tax and tag fees which seemed surprisingly low this time. I say standard since I've purchased about 4 or 5 used vehicles from dealers since moving to Maryland and they all had that same fee. I think they claim it includes prepping the vehicle for sale but seems like that should fall into the sales price. Not sure if other states vary or if there are regs to what they can charge for this mystery fee. Hopefully others will chime in.

Rsb563

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't believe what they tell you. It's pure profit for them. They tried to hit me with prep fee for detailing and their paperwork, etc which was all online. They didn't even have to mail anything. There is a reason people don't like used car salesman, they will do anything to put more money in there pockets.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, $995. sounds fishy or they would have mentioned it when you talked to them on the phone. You did the right thing in my opinion.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This dealer wants you to...
58170[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

YA $1000 extra -eek!
Unfortunately the dealers wait to the very last second, to disclose their Admin or add on Dealer Fees. (scam)
When I bought my low mile Jeep at dealer & at the last second on final close paperwork, was an undisclosed to me, an additional $500 "documentation" fee!
They tried to hide it!
YA I barked cause I was paying $17,500 and said what's up with this?
Oh it is to help cover the costs of the overall cleaning/detailing and the $200 BCAA inspection report.
Even tho I paid it, I made them install trailer wiring for free & they gave me 1 year free road side assistance, to soften the blow.

Attachments

• Empty%20Every%20pocket.jpg
    Empty%20Every%20pocket.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All dealers charge a dealer fee, also reefered to as a documentation fee. It's added to cover their cost of doing paperwork, but it should be no more than a few hundred bucks. As high as they are trying to charge you, means you probably chewed them down to the bone on the sales price, and they're trying to make some of it back on the back end.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And on a 10 year old used car no less; forget about it!

I've seen "dealer fees" less than that on brand new cars!

Detailing, repairs to the used vehicle, etc should be and usually are worked into the asking price of the vehicle. The used car mgr knows what he has into a car, and prices it accordingly. He has a certain bottom price after which the sale is not worth doing as well.

To add those onto the negotiated sale price after the fact, is pure greed and unethical practice.

5 years in a dealership service dept, selling the used car dept on the repairs a car needed they took in on trade, and seeing all the paperwork and costs, I know how this works.

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And on a 10 year old used car no less; forget about it!

I've seen "dealer fees" less than that on brand new cars!

Detailing, repairs to the used vehicle, etc should be and usually are worked into the asking price of the vehicle. The used car mgr knows what he has into a car, and prices it accordingly. He has a certain bottom price after which the sale is not worth doing as well.

To add those onto the negotiated sale price after the fact, is pure greed and unethical practice.

5 years in a dealership service dept, selling the used car dept on the repairs a car needed they took in on trade, and seeing all the paperwork and costs, I know how this works.

Exactly!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I always tell them I want final cost up front. I've walked out of dealer showrooms before with cash in hand when they tried the hidden fees. Always funny watching the look on their faces, then running after you.
Last KJ ( the 03 ) was same way , they tried adding 450 dollars right at the end. I had cash money laying on the salesman's desk, picked it up and away we went out the door. Before I started the 05 up they were at my door . Got it for the agreed upon price ( before the 450 add on ) Besides that was 450 towards the lift that I needed :gr_grin:
My brother in law always wanted me to do car deals with him , but he'd never stay in the showroom, said he was too embarrassed to see me and the sales people go at it. :happy175:

Latest posts

Members online