Daystar Troubles... Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Give Me Liberty

Reaction score
I have a 04 Limited Edition, and I picked up the Daystar 2 1/2 lift. To save myself some sweat I took the libby to a local shop to install. The rear went in easy as advertised but the front strut assembly won't go in. Not able to align lower strut into position. Does the lower crontrol arm must be disconnected? The mechanic refuses to remove the LCA saying it's under too much pressure??? he also states that he believes the front axle will make contact with the part below the clevis. I Have Daystar lift KJ09116BK.
Is there any truth to this? anyone else have challenges installing this lift?

Steve

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
not sure why the mechaic is having problems except maybe he doesn't know what he is doing ( never done a lift on a Liberty before ) Not knowing what he has done so far makes it hard to tell you what to check, lower control arm does not need to come off,
did he remove the sway bar? unbolt the end links?
Does he have the upper ball joint disconnected?
is the strut assembly still hanging loose, ie install strut assembly with only the nuts started on then start the clevis up onto the bottom of the strut assembly, he may need to take a rachet strap and wrap around the bottom of the clevis, over to the frame and pull it in (over to where you can get the bolt in )
if you still have problems have him contact me, I will PM you my cell phone number
Tom

Give Me Liberty

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply tommudd, The mechanic did not know how to pull over the clevis fork into posistion on the LCA. When I tried to explain the method all I got was a blank stare... so I collected my Libby and left.
I often do all work myself but since this is steering and suspension I opted to let the "pros" do it. I'll try another reputed place and make sure they understand what is involved before releasing it.
I wil pass on your number (thank you very much) to the mechanic.

Steve

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need 2 ratchet straps contented to the clevis and to the opisite side and you ratchet strap the strut assembly and clevis into position to get things aligned and the bolt back in.

Give Me Liberty

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! It's a pain in the *** to let some else do what you can do yourself:mad:. When done by yourself you can take your time and do it right, or better,
I used to drive an 88 xj and enjoyed diving in whenever I could. This will be the first and probably last time I let some else touch my stuff.

Favourite Jeep quote: Jeeps arn't bought, the're built.:D

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
So I have one question for you...

Are you currently riding around with your tail end higher than the front? It looks like your Liberty is prowling?

if so, i know how that is. Do let us know if you also see a highway MPG improvement from it too, like I did. :p

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Are you currently riding around with your tail end higher than the front? It looks like your Liberty is prowling?

if so, i know how that is. Do let us know if you also see a highway MPG improvement from it too, like I did. :p

If this is they case I would so love to see some pics of it in this state! :)

Give Me Liberty

Reaction score
Well all said and done the lift is in and it went just fine when the correct people do the job. I'm definately kicking myself for not doing it myself, oh well:(. I now have clearance to go where I need and want to go:D. I got my Libby for a deal so even after paying all fees it still comes in under the market price.

Live, Spend, Learn.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've been riding like that for a year. My rear end is about an inch higher than the front. I can post a pic if you like....?? :)

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have what I think is a Rusty's Offroad 2.5" spacer lift on my 04 Libby and had a similar experience. I had no great problem installing the rear spacer under the OEM coils and replacing the rear OEM shocks. The front spacer consists of a 2.5" steel spacer to fit on top of the OEM struts. I was too chicken to remove my front struts because I didn't have the proper coil spring compressors. I was afraid of the whole thing flying apart like a broken watch :eek: so I took my Libby to a local shop that does springs. I suspect the mechanic at the garage you visited didn't have experience with spring replacement. It should be easy to do with the vehicle on a lift with the proper tools.

Give Me Liberty

Reaction score
Yeah it was obvious after the lift was installed that the first guys had no idea what was going on. I tried to get he best deal on the install and it bit me in the butt. It proves the saying that you get what you paid for.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have what I think is a Rusty's Offroad 2.5" spacer lift on my 04 Libby and had a similar experience. I had no great problem installing the rear spacer under the OEM coils and replacing the rear OEM shocks. The front spacer consists of a 2.5" steel spacer to fit on top of the OEM struts. I was too chicken to remove my front struts because I didn't have the proper coil spring compressors. I was afraid of the whole thing flying apart like a broken watch :eek: so I took my Libby to a local shop that does springs. I suspect the mechanic at the garage you visited didn't have experience with spring replacement. It should be easy to do with the vehicle on a lift with the proper tools.

If you have the cheap OTT Rustys then you did not have to take the springs apart, just bolt on top so no spring compressors are needed
Hope you have some good aftermarket bumpstops in there;)

Wish I lived closer to some of you that like to pay others to do simple things like lifts, I need the extra cash:D:D:D:D

maddawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I lived closer to some of you that like to pay others to do simple things like lifts, I need the extra cash:D:D:D:D

hell i wish you did too man...i just dropped off my jeep to get the daystar 2.5 added