Danged positive battery terminal is corroding like CRAZY! Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I popped the hood of my wife's '07 a few weeks ago and found the factory terminal so corroded that it was barely holding onto itself. Soaked it repeatedly in baking soda, replaced the terminal with the zinc plated kind from Advanced Auto, then put one of those stupid felt rings on it. That was two weeks ago. Today I popped the hood and found the terminal completely corroded again, with some of the metal already eaten away. Battery is a factory battery, dealer put it in about two years ago.

Should I use one of the solid lead terminals vs. zinc? Replace the whole damned positive terminal/cable? I'm not sure what the positive terminal/cable costs.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How old and what type of battery do you have in it.
Acid/fumes maybe leaking out causing it.
I've never had a problem with any of mine, but have seen others that had old batteries do this

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try cleaning both terminals and battery posts again (wire brush is ok) then spraying with WD40 and/or put some dielectric grease on them before installation. Poor contact coupled with battery acid (as tommudd suggested) or moisture can cause the corrosion. Also, maybe it's time for a new battery...our factory battery didn't last more than a year and a half. Positive Terminal corrosion suggests maybe poor charging happening as well (no panic there, probably not the alternator, more likely the battery).

Last edited:

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery is a factory battery, dealer put it in about two years ago.

I thought it was maintenance free but I realized today that it's not. The first cell is a bit lower on water than the others, but all are low. I'm not sure if that's normal or if that's an indicator of a fume leak at the positive terminal. I scrubbed it down to the copper, let it dry, and coated it in grease. If it continues, I may just buy a new battery, something like an Optima, and be done with it. I can deal with a cranky connection, but I don't want to risk my wife getting stuck. In Florida 2-3 years is all you get out of a battery anyway.

justanutterfan

Reaction score
Easiest way to clean. Brew straight water in coffee pot then pour over terminals. Even the heaviest crud will flake right off. Old toothbrush will take everything off.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best way to prevent a science project from growing on your terminals and having to to replace them,let alone clean them, is to stop using a wet cell battery.Use a AGM battery and no more science project,though skip optima's as there quality have drastically went to the dumps the last few years.

I have the original battery terminals in my KJ and not any signs of corrosion and never once cleaned them or coated them with anything.I have had a AGM battery installed since mile 15 or so and 10 years.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big problem on my F250 but not my TJ
The 250 sees 15 time the milage the TJ sees
after 3+ years and 98k on the OE battery I have had to
replace the terminal on the positive
but the TJ has killed 3 batteries due to sitting
and still on the OE cables ,10 years

I coated the positive terminal on the 250 with
Nickle anti-sieze and have had no issues
and I mean COATED it real good

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a shame that the Optima has gone downhill...they used to be the benchmark of batteries. What has replaced them?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you got one you would know its worth every penny and thats not a bad price.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$219?? No, that's not the one that I want.

Then go buy another cheap battery and stop complaining.

Check your engine grounds too maybe? There's two grounds running from the back of each side of the engine that are grounded to the firewall.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a regular battery I put in a NAPA Premium for around $100. (my OEM Mopar one lasted around 5 years). Good so far. Also, Exide makes a good battery.

For a AGM one the Sears Odyssey battery (the grey one) is good but around $200 or maybe a little more.

Dave

Last edited:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stock one got replaced two weeks ago with an odyssey. pricey but worth it.

Power windows don't struggle anymore. lights don't dim when esp intervenes. more importantly the jeep starts when its below -25.

teckn9ne

Reaction score
Yea the diehard platinum is the way 2 go warrany is unmatched i live 15 mins from were there made enersys warrensburg missouri they use pure 99.999 pure virgin lead not that recycled junk lead. 219 is a hella good price 4 what u get.Plus reserver is beter and CCA the optimas.Iused support optimas but price does not add up 2 the quality anymore.

RENE

Reaction score
When installing a new battery make sure you don t tap the battery terminal on the post, hitting the battery post will possibly loosen it just enough for the acid fumes to work their way up and corrode the terminal .

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive lived all over the US the last 10 years and everytime I come back to the south my battery terminals are corroded in a few months. Has to be the humidity and/or heat.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the battery is venting around the post, but haven't had the money to put a new battery in there yet. I keep greasing up the post, few weeks later it's all gone at the seven oclock position.

Latest posts

Members online