CV Replacement Tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoltzKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front right CV is going out (boot tore and all the grease in there is emptying and starting to seize) and I bought a brand new one to replace it from Napa. What tools do i need and what do i have to take off to accomplish this?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My front right CV is going out (boot tore and all the grease in there is emptying and starting to seize) and I bought a brand new one to replace it from Napa. What tools do i need and what do i have to take off to accomplish this?

Get a intermediate shaft and replace it at the same time as well
( if you have never replaced or have one on hand just in case its bad. )
Remove brake caliper, and mount, plus rotor, remove nut from end of the CV
then upper and lower ball joint nuts,hit with 3 pound hammer a couple of times to break them loose, pull spindle off and pull out CV and intermediate shaft
Never had to replace any seals that I've done, just be careful in removing and replacing
ALSO do not let the caliper hang by the hose, tie it up

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to sound stupid or anything, but when you say replace the whole shaft you mean something like this correct?
Driveshaft NMD 948053 | NAPA Auto Parts
(this is what I bought and will be installing)

No, besides the CV axle you should get one of these - Intermediate Shaft. Ignore what the description says about working for the left or right side - it is for the passenger side only.

Instead of buying a new CV axle, get a remanufactured unit. The initial cost is more but the final cost after you return your old one will be less. And it will actually fit instead of being too short like many aftermarket units are.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online