CV axle change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CV Driveshaft CompressedLength : 22 3/4"
Inner Joint Spline Count : 29
Outer Joint Spline Count : 27

CV Driveshaft CompressedLength : 23 5/8"
Inner Joint Spline Count : 29
Outer Joint Spline Count : 27

I wanna know why in Kj924's quote of JeepJeepster, the length isn't the same as the OP? headscratch.gif lol3.gif

Last edited:

Midgear

Reaction score
what I'm probly going to end up doing is just taking this NEW CV axle back and order a remanned one.. the guys up there kept doggin the remanned ones because he doesn't trust them and he said "I wouldn't sell a remanned CV axle to any of my customers"

I think he's fulla shit to be honest..

I'm going to call up there tomorrow and see what I can get done.. I've got to get that CV axle changed, it's bugging me knowing that something is about to give in my driveline.

oh yes, I also took the new CV axle up there stating that it was shorter than the one I have in there right now- after searching for a different length axle with no luck, he tells me this short one would fit, and I need to actually try and install it and make sure it's in fact too short.. I didn't have time to sit there and figure this shit out.. already been in there for 30 minutes and now I just get told I've got the right part and leave. WTF- I can see right now that the damn thing is too short- so once I find time, I'm gonna rip my old one out and take it up there and shove it up his ass and demand a proper length shaft or I'm going elsewhere.

tired of gettin played like a f%^*$ing fiddle (banghead)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what I'm probly going to end up doing is just taking this NEW CV axle back and order a remanned one.. the guys up there kept doggin the remanned ones because he doesn't trust them and he said "I wouldn't sell a remanned CV axle to any of my customers"

I think he's fulla shit to be honest..

I'm going to call up there tomorrow and see what I can get done.. I've got to get that CV axle changed, it's bugging me knowing that something is about to give in my driveline.

oh yes, I also took the new CV axle up there stating that it was shorter than the one I have in there right now- after searching for a different length axle with no luck, he tells me this short one would fit, and I need to actually try and install it and make sure it's in fact too short.. I didn't have time to sit there and figure this shit out.. already been in there for 30 minutes and now I just get told I've got the right part and leave. WTF- I can see right now that the damn thing is too short- so once I find time, I'm gonna rip my old one out and take it up there and shove it up his ass and demand a proper length shaft or I'm going elsewhere.

tired of gettin played like a f%^*$ing fiddle (banghead)
Never buy a "new" anything but right from the dealership for a OEM part.A remaned part is far better since they are just rebuilding a OEM part and those guys in China can't read schematics very good when making those aftermarket OEM "new" parts to save there lives.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having my passenger side done Monday and when the shop ordered the parts his supplier said the intermediate shaft came with the passenger side CV axle. Based on everything I've read on this forum that does not sound right to me but I guess I'll find out.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having my passenger side done Monday and when the shop ordered the parts his supplier said the intermediate shaft came with the passenger side CV axle. Based on everything I've read on this forum that does not sound right to me but I guess I'll find out.

Not that I have seen for a KJ from multiple suppliers,I've replaced more then a few at work and never seen one come with that shaft.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes never seen one that did either
Where is getting the parts from? Hopefully from a reputable place

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen weird stuff at places like Midas. Is it a national chain using internal inventory? May be their policy to combine. In this case not gouging but probably a reasonable step.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I'd really want to know what company is supplying the CV, you know a lot of them are too short.

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my reman this morning from Napa. was surprised they seemed to indicate they knew about the short ones when I mentioned it.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intermediate shaft

Is this the correct intermediate shaft? Says Dana 30 not 30a.

http://www.carparts.com/details/Jeep/Liberty/Crown/Axle_Shaft/2005/5066057AB.html?TID=gglpla&origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2rvw-tzR1QIVApNpCh3I9AAjEAQYASABEgLT2PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009X1S93C?tag=viglink20607-20

I've had a vibrating noise at 60mph like something is off balance for almost a year. Replaced control arm/ball joints were worn - no luck. There's not much play in the passenger CV but what else could it be?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this the correct intermediate shaft? Says Dana 30 not 30a.

http://www.carparts.com/details/Jee...VApNpCh3I9AAjEAQYASABEgLT2PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009X1S93C?tag=viglink20607-20

I've had a vibrating noise at 60mph like something is off balance for almost a year. Replaced control arm/ball joints were worn - no luck. There's not much play in the passenger CV but what else could it be?

Yes thats it
Doesn't have to be much play at times to be bad , they rust and the grooves get worn and make noise/ vibrations
You are replacing the CV as well , right?? No use replacing one and not the other