CV axle change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO if someone trades in, what was once a new after market shaft, then now there's a remanned shorter shaft out there....you might have to read this a few times in order to understand my reasoning lol

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO if someone trades in, what was once a new after market shaft, then now there's a remanned shorter shaft out there....you might have to read this a few times in order to understand my reasoning lol

Good point. Wonder how long the "new" shafts become the "remanned" shafts? That'll screw up the new vs remanned arguement now won't it?

Midgear

Reaction score
my "new" shaft looks shorter than the old one.. I still haven't compared the two. been working alot.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I called Napa here today, and a NEW CV shaft is $127+tax(no core charge)....a RE-MANUFACTURED is $127+TAX+$93.50 CORE CHARGE.

The manufacturer is Cardon for both shafts. So they have the reman'd one in stock and can have it next day when I order it. Now, the question is, What way should I go? Reman'd or new? The supplier never asked about length measurements or anything.

For Derick.... $98 each at Bumper to Bumper for the new ones.
Thanks Ian.

Wow! I remember when the front wheel drives first started needing CV's and axle's....the axle shafts were hundreds and hundreds of dollars to replace. I remember one lady and her FWD that I towed into the shop I worked at....she was spinning on ice at a stop light, and when she started to move forward she caught dry pave at about 4000RPM I'm guessing, maybe more...anyways, the CV joint just exploded when she grabbed dry pavement, and tore everything to pieces...the intersection was only a block from work and when I arrived there were ball bearings everywhere...pieces of CV joint and the inner cage all over the street. :rolleyes: I remember it cost her a lot of money to fix it that day. The shaft alone was $300-ish.

Last edited:

Midgear

Reaction score
mine was just over 100 (passenger side) bucks at napa.. 101 - 103 and some change.. don't remember. why would yours be 20-30 more ?

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
mine was just over 100 (passenger side) bucks at napa.. 101 - 103 and some change.. don't remember. why would yours be 20-30 more ?

Me? Well we get bent over here in Canada on prices all the time. When the US dollar is high, then the suppliers pay more for their supplies, which mainly come from the US....then the dollar goes to near par with the US dollar, but our prices never fall to match the decline of the US buck....right now it's pretty damn close to even with our dollar.

If I go to a book store for example, and buy a book, on the back of the book there are Canadian and US prices..ie: US- $19.95...Canadian- $26.00 and that is the way it is.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some looking around on Napa's website. It even says the New ones are shorter than the Reman'd ones. Idk whats going on there.

-CV Driveshaft - Right Front - New
You must be registered for see images

Unit $93.79

# of Outboard Splines : 27
Inboard Spline Count : 29
Length : 22 9/16"

-CV Driveshaft - Right Front - Remfd
Product Line: NAPA MaxDrive
Part Number:
NMD 958484
Price: $68.99
Price Core: $55.56

CV Driveshaft CompressedLength : 22 3/4"
Inner Joint Spline Count : 29
Outer Joint Spline Count : 27

Each

Last edited:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Did some looking around on Napa's website. It even says the New ones are shorter than the Reman'd ones. Idk whats going on there. You can even tell the difference in the pictures.

-CV Driveshaft - Right Front - New

Unit $93.79

# of Outboard Splines : 27
Inboard Spline Count : 29
Length : 22 9/16"

-CV Driveshaft - Right Front - Remfd
Product Line: NAPA MaxDrive
Part Number:
NMD 958484
Price: $68.99
Price Core: $55.56

CV Driveshaft CompressedLength : 23 5/8"
Inner Joint Spline Count : 29
Outer Joint Spline Count : 27

Each

Yeah I seen that. I was snooping around on the Napa.ca site and seen the different length shafts...but I think one might be for the CRD???? I remember reading on here that the diff in the CRD is in a different location than the gassers are.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked again and they are both listed for the 3.7l engine. I guess its possible they have them mixed up with the CRD on their end though. Ill have my CV in hand to check the length when I pick mine up just to make sure.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I checked again and they are both listed for the 3.7l engine. I guess its possible they have them mixed up with the CRD on their end though. Ill have my CV in hand to check the length when I pick mine up just to make sure.

Best way. The thing that makes me wonder is that the new and reman'd ones here are the same price. Down there they are different prices. Let us know what you find out though .

:)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Best way. The thing that makes me wonder is that the new and reman'd ones here are the same price. Down there they are different prices. Let us know what you find out though .

:)
The 3.7 uses different CV's then the CRD.The CRD uses the same CV's as the 2.4 gasser since it also required the front diff to be moved more to the drivers side for oil pan clearance.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.7 uses different CV's then the CRD.The CRD uses the same CV's as the 2.4 gasser since it also required the front diff to be moved more to the drivers side for oil pan clearance.

Well they have another length listed for the 2.4l so its not that. They just have the length completely wrong for the new shafts on a 3.7 then.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well they have another length listed for the 2.4l so its not that. They just have the length completely wrong for the new shafts on a 3.7 then.
Don't follow what is on any auto parts stores web site of catalog,95% of the time they are wrong,been in the business long enough to know that and yes the VIN even can be wrong for trying to get parts also. Try looking up any part for a 8.25 diff for a '02,they don't even list the 8.25 even being in a '02 KJ.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well like I said, we're gonna start seeing shorter remanned ones once the new ones get traded in. So bring your old one just in case as someone mentioned earlier

Midgear

Reaction score
this must mean I need to take this new CV axle back to napa to change it for a longer shaft.. ? because mine is noticeably shorter than what's sitting in there right now.