Cummins swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6bt would be virtually impossible without major mods that would make your KJ pretty much a full fledged tube buggy,not to mention needing at least D60's front and rear to handle the power.

The 4bt would be pretty much the same as the 6bt but wouldn't have to extend the front end by 2 feet,again you'd have to beef up the drivetrain and SFA would be mandatory and unless your KJ is a '02-'05 it would be illegal also since the 4bt production ended in '05.

If I remember correctly a fully dressed 4bt is about 800lbs-900lbs for the engine alone which is over twice the weight of the 3.7 V6.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering but why would it be illegal on 06+?

Yea....here in Liberty County there's a 2010 JKU with SBC in it. Maybe if your state or county checks the engine. But here its a saftey inspection.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd lose all computer functions, for starters. maybe you could get part of the BCM to work, but you would need to do a custom gauge cluster because the oem ones don't read sensor direct (the ECM reads the sensors, then transfers it to your gauges with a different voltage/resistance than the sensor puts out).

the 4btA would fit, but would be a lot to mod. You'd be better off just finding a totaled 2.8vm KJ and doing the swap.

also, if you're in an emissions state/county, good luck getting the state to waiver emissions after the diesel swap on something that new. It would never pass.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering but why would it be illegal on 06+?
Emissions,even if your state/county does not actually test it's still illegal since a '05 engine can not pass '06 emission standards.The engine must pass the emission standards to the vehicle it's going into so pretty much the engine has to be the same year or newer and retain all the emission parts.

And like stated in most states it is illegal period to do a diesel conversion into a vehicle that originally had a gas engine.I'm pretty sure Colorado is one of those states since the engine swap has to be certified by the state.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emissions,even if your state/county does not actually test it's still illegal since a '05 engine can not pass '06 emission standards.The engine must pass the emission standards to the vehicle it's going into so pretty much the engine has to be the same year or newer and retain all the emission parts.

And like stated in most states it is illegal period to do a diesel conversion into a vehicle that originally had a gas engine.I'm pretty sure Colorado is one of those states since the engine swap has to be certified by the state.

Agreed.

On the diesel swap. It's not that doing a swap to diesel is illegal. It's that not being able to meet the emission standards of the vehicle as titled is illegal.

In WI, anything 95 and older can have any motor you want. There are no emissions for said vehicles, and the state doesn't care to inspect them UNLESS it's to put a salvaged vehicle back on the road.

my 86 MJ passed emissions (when it was required) with flying colors having a 96 buick 3800 S/C S2 in it. Just sold my diesel MJ, tho it was factory Renault 2.1TD. could have put any diesel I wanted in it, they wouldn't care.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i forgot who it was but there was a guy who put a 1.9 tdi (from a VW) in a liberty that was originally a 3.7...you could probably find the build thread on tdiclub....i wish they made the 4bt for just one more year, those motors are awesome IMO.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nvm thru google search I found my answers.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I didn't think it would blow up like this lol I expected someone to come on and say it's just not possible, since just the amount of shear torque would blow apart the drive train.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I didn't think it would blow up like this lol I expected someone to come on and say it's just not possible, since just the amount of shear torque would blow apart the drive train.
Yeah you could not run the stock axles or stock t-case.The stock trans would never bolt up anyways.You'd have to use a modified GM Turbo400 or a NV4500 manual for the trans.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you could not run the stock axles or stock t-case.The stock trans would never bolt up anyways.You'd have to use a modified GM Turbo400 or a NV4500 manual for the trans.

I've always wanted a cummins and with the amount of time and money I'd have to put into swapping one in It'd be easier and a better choice to just get a Ram 2500 at that point

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An 8.25 would handle the power for awhile.

And simply put, any motor swap but a 4.7 would require new trans at least

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. so any NGC controlled KJ is a giant waste of time for engine swap unless you have $$$$$

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, because a 2 stroke supercharged turbo charged diesel gets great fuel mileage...

just kidding.

I've worked on more detroits than cummins.