Crd engine thermostats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
Just an update and an announcement...

As of today -- July 19, 2015 -- there are only 4 or perhaps 5 thermostats available for sale in this current production run of 40 units. These are the second generation Model 001 engine thermostat assemblies that have the extra threaded ports for aftermarket temperature sending units, as shown in the photos I posted earlier in this thread.

All of the polishing is completed. I am currently washing and drying the main housings, the caps and the hose barbs thoroughly to prepare them for anodizing.

If you want one and are not prepared to wait a long time, you best step up soon before this entire production run is spoken for. As I have mentioned before, I require the following information to be sent to my e-mail address, (please do not post your private information on this forum)...

1) ...your full legal name.

2) ...your complete shipping address, including postal code or zip code. Please indicate if the address is a business or a residence.

3) ...a valid e-mail address. Please indicate if this is a personal or business e-mail address. This is the address I will be sending the PayPal invoice to.

4) ...your contact telephone number or numbers. Please indicate if the number is a residential, a business or a mobile number. Please also indicate what time zone you live in, and the hours of the day that are acceptable to receive telephone calls from me.

5) ...Please indicate where you found out about me. If it was a Jeep Online Forum, (LOSTJEEPS.com, JEEPKJ.com, JEEPMILITIA.com, etc., etc.), please indicate your Username. I need to be able to associate the Username with the customer's real name if I am communicating with him or her through the forums.

Best Regards,

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score
Photos of the second generation model 001

Hello, all Liberty CRD owners on JeepKJ.com!

It indeed has been a while since I last posted here... today is the first chance I have had in a long time to post the latest on the best engine thermostat in the world for the V.M. Motori R425 and R428 turbo-diesel engines. This has been due to some unexpected and frustrating delays in re-designing and manufacturing the Model 001 with the 1/8" NPT and 1/4" NPT accessory ports to accept aftermarket temperature sending units.

All of the delays have passed, and changes are now being made to speed up post-machining production to avoid delays in manufacturing in the future. I am also close to the point of building a small inventory of completed H.D.S. Model 001 thermostats for immediate delivery when somebody orders one.

This photo shows the 43 main housings from the first production run of the second generation Model 001...

You must be registered for see images attach

After looking over the one of the anodized housings I had media blasted, I like what I see. Take a look at a photo of the finish on one of the main housings I have posted below. Media blasting is far faster than polishing, gives what I think is a good looking finish, and accomplishes the necessary task of removing sharp edges and corners that the housings have after machining. I have decided to go ahead and invest in a media blasting cabinet, and an ultrasonic cleaner in an effort to speed up post-machining production.

Every one of these 43 units has been sold. I already have another 31 main housings machined, and the matching caps are currently being machined. I am currently taking orders on these.

Last edited:

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score

The following photo shows two Model 001 main housings... the side you see is the side that faces the firewall of the engine bay. The threaded port on the left of the photo is for the O.E. temperature sending unit that feeds signals to the ECU and the factory temperature gauge. The threaded port on the right of the photo is 1/4" NPT, which is the precise size needed for the temperature sending unit used in Flex-A-Lite's dash controller kit for electric fan conversions.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score

This next photo shows the 1/8" NPT threaded port that was added to the Model 001. This is by far the most common size used for aftermarket temperature sending units for the engine temperature gauges they sell, (Stuart-Warner, ISSPRO, AutoMeter, VDO, etc., etc.). This port is easy to access even after installation of the Model 001 onto your engine... it is just above the viscous heater at the front of the engine.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score

The following two photos show installation of temperature sending units in the main housing of the Model 001. A lot of care was taken to place the accessory ports in locations on the main housing that would be reasonable to access AND where the TSU tips would not interfere with the operation of the Hemi V-8 thermostat valve installed.

Please take note of the direction of the thermostat valve frame... it lines up with a notch that was machined into the flange of the main housing. Installing the thermostat valve this way assures that the temperature sending units do not interfere with the valve.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score

The following three photos show that these accessory ports are plugged with stainless steel hex key plugs, so the completely assembled H.D.S. Model 001 is ready for immediate installation when the customer receives it. If you want to install an aftermarket TSU, then simply drain some coolant out of the engine, (cold engine, please, for your safety
), remove a plug, thread in a TSU with pipe tape or pipe thread sealant on the threads of the TSU, and re-fill with coolant.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score
More model 001 engine thermostat assembly photos...

Here are some more photos of the third production run... finally completed and ready to ship. This first one is of the entire production run minus 2 units that had their caps off to show you all how the Hemi thermostat valves should be oriented in the main housing...

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score

This following set of photos show the two different styles of finishes I experimented with in an effort to deal with the sharp corners and edges of the housings after they are finished in the CNC machine...

Last edited:

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score

As I have mentioned previously on this thread and in e-mail replies to my customers, the polished housing simply takes way too long to do. The aluminum oxide media blasted housing is just as nice a finish and does the same job of softening the edges and corners of the housings. It also has the added benefit of removing most of the tool marks and is way easier and quicker to accomplish.

I have been given assurances from the company that does the anodizing for the Model 001 that a media blasted surface is just as protected from corrosion as a polished surface... for those of you who wonder about such things.

Last edited:

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score

Now on to photos regarding the orientation of the Hemi thermostat valve in the housing...

When designing the Model 001, I felt that it was important to orient the thermostat valve in such a manner that the frame of the valve will create as little restriction to coolant flow as possible, and to avoid the frame contacting any temperature sending units. This is especially important in the second generation Model 001, as it can have as much as 2 extra temperature sending units sticking inside the main chamber to contend with. The tips of the sending units must only touch coolant, and NOT anything solid, in order to maintain accurate temperature readings and to ensure reliable operation of the sending unit and the thermostat valve.

On both the first and second generation Model 001 assemblies, you can see a notch carved into the lip of the main housing, (the flange that has the studs where the cap mates with). In both cases, the frame is to be aligned with this notch in the manner as shown in the photos below. Please keep in mind that these photos are of the second gen Model 001... the first gen Model 001 has an alignment notch as well, and the valve must be aligned where the notch is on that one. In other words, if you have a first generation Model 001, please do not align your thermostat valve in the same direction as that of a second generation Model 001.

Last edited:

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score

I will be updating the installation thread I started with this information, and will also include information on installing aftermarket temperature sending units as well.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score
Photos of the final version of the model 001

The following are photos of the final version of the Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly. Those customers ordering a Model 001 from now on will receive what is shown in these photos. Polishing the entire housing and cap is simply taking too long... blasting the surface with aluminum oxide accomplishes the same desired effect of softening the sharp edges and corners of the housing that polishing does, while also removing most of the tooling marks. Polishing each housing and cap takes about 30 to 40 minutes; I can blast that same housing in about 5 minutes.

Last edited:

jrsavoie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way things look, I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO order until after the New Year.

Unless of course something else needs repair before then. Or my thermostat goes bad and I have to order one.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score
The way things look, I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO order until after the New Year.

Unless of course something else needs repair before then. Or my thermostat goes bad and I have to order one.

I understand Jeffrey... there will be a H.D.S. Model 001 for you when you are ready.

I have 31 more completed housings at the machine shop... 7 of these housings have found buyers who have paid up front. There are currently 24 more H.D.S. Model 001 thermostats available.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score
HOT DIESEL SOLUTIONS MODEL 001 ENGINE THERMOSTAT UPDATE:

Great news for those CRD owners looking for the absolute best engine thermostat assembly made!!

I can now say that in two weeks I will have a standing inventory of H.D.S. Model 001s for immediate delivery upon payment in full. There will now only be a day delay from the time a customer pays for a Model 001, to the time it is shipped out him or her. No more long delays from the time a customer purchases a Model 001 to the time a customer receives their Model 001. :favorites37:

This development was made possible by completely changing up post machining production methodologies. With these changes, 90 percent of the work required to manufacture the Model 001 is now a turn-key operation. I still assemble the Model 001 personally, as this gives me an opportunity to perform a quality control check on all components before assembly.

Dinobuster

Reaction score
Hi, I realize this is an older tread but does anyone know if this thermostat or one similar is available for an 05 crd.
Thx