cragar soft 8 mounting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my Jeep in to get new tires and took the opportunity to throw the Soft 8s on.

But the tire shop would not mount the Soft 8s saying there is a gap between the wheel bore and the hub. He says all the weight is resting on the 5 bolts and it was dangerous.

What the hells going on? Is there a manufacturing defect on my Cragars or the tech does not know s*it?!!

Please help if you have an opinion. I need new tires before going on the road and I dont have rims to mount them.

ACWeller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my opinion, take it to another shop. they should have been able to offer an idea on whats wrong instead of just blowing you off. Sounds to me like you just needsome hub centric rings.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Most factory rims fit snugly around the hub and are "hub centric." After market rims often do not ride that snugly. People pan wheel spacers because they are not "hub centric" in most cases but ignore that many aftermarket wheels are the same way.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
considering that many people who own liberties own cragar soft 8s, myself included. We all have the same hubs, and we dont have problems and we dont use spacers. Take itsomewhere else and if there is still a problem maybe you ordered the wrong wheel

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use conical seat lug nuts like everyone else. The lug will centre the stud in the wheel's hole for the lug nut. Once all five lugs are on, the wheel will be centered with the hub. Go and see someone else. The dude that's mounting the wheels for you is a bozo. Or, put el-cheapo center caps on and you won't see the hub.

I might be a ********* for saying your tire dude is a bozo but hey, my Soft8's fit fine and run true, no wobbling here.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I took my Jeep in to get new tires and took the opportunity to throw the Soft 8s on.

But the tire shop would not mount the Soft 8s saying there is a gap between the wheel bore and the hub. He says all the weight is resting on the 5 bolts and it was dangerous.

What the hells going on? Is there a manufacturing defect on my Cragars or the tech does not know s*it?!!

Please help if you have an opinion. I need new tires before going on the road and I dont have rims to mount them.

If you where packing weight,ie,loaded to the gills daily,2 ton or more would think you Might be headed for trouble. Otherwise,no prob,thank fellow for looking out for you,run the wheels.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hub centric rims take the weight off the wheels studs so the hub center actually supports the full weight and the wheel studs only provide the clamping force.Lug centric rims like the soft 8's uses the wheel studs to support the weight and center the rim.Not a real issue for a KJ,those five 1/2" grade 8 wheel studs will handle alot of weight before they deform and break if properly torqued.

Now if your talking about a 3/4/1 ton pickup your asking for trouble.

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not trying to split hairs just thought it was funny, never heard of a 3-4-1 ton before lol

calbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
considering that many people who own liberties own cragar soft 8s

that's what I told him but no luck.

Took it to another shop. The guy said rims were lug centric right on. He also offered to put flanges (guess a hub centric rings) on the hub centers if I wanted.
It only costs me 40 bucks for a set so why not?! I'll get em installed on Monday and post pictures after the lift on Tuesday.

thanks for all the input

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Hub centric rings are completely different
You must be registered for see images attach

If the centerbore on a wheel is too big for the vehicle the wheels are on, then you should be using these

Red_KJ_666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude Fast wheels makes a Set of hub Centric Rings for like 10$ all 4. But they really are not needed. Paint your centers black and forget about it. Also if you run hub centric rings and Soft 8's I would think push thru caps will not work.