Cradle Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ptsb, assuming you put the same thickness shims between the rails and trans crossmember to keep everything kosher, or did you go thinner or?

Good work holmes.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
ptsb5a, nice shop! :) Will be interesting to see how this works out for you.

I don't know why but I have a Van Halen song stuck in my head now...

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Keswick Dave... The Cradle will Rock, or Drop Dead Legs? Both freakin' rock..... Long legs, straight on up to her lunchpail...:D lunchpail, ha

@ TBJ.. of course I went the same thickness all around. 1/4".

@ Troy, no insult intended dude but my understanding of parallelograms and how it applies to the UCA, LCA mounting would lead me to believe that my odds at a decent alignment may have improved. Guess I'll find out soon enough. Wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong though, happens often enough.

@ Rev Mudd, when I get a new axle seal tomorrow, I'll have my KJ on the lift again and I'll take pics of the current cambolt positions. Maybe the dude that did my alignment last did something incorrectly.

@ Troy, again, why the hate for RRO dude?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Troy, no insult intended dude but my understanding of parallelograms and how it applies to the UCA, LCA mounting would lead me to believe that my odds at a decent alignment may have improved. Guess I'll find out soon enough. Wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong though, happens often enough.

@ Troy, again, why the hate for RRO dude?
If you had severe positive camber issues,more then 1.5 degrees and that was the closest that it could be set then yes you will get a better alignment.The cradle drop will only effect positive camber issues,will make a negative camber issue worse since the UCA is not dropped also.Do not worry about caster,as long as caster is between 1-3 degrees and within .4 degrees side to side you are fine,bigger tires require less caster anyways and to much caster with bigger tires can actually lead to severe handling issues.After doing many alignments on KJ's(lifted and stock) and many others with the same adjustment setup as the KJ it takes a skilled alignment tech to get both camber and caster back into spec since it's a delicate balance between both LCA cam bolts and can take some time to get right,if lifted you always sacrifice caster for camber as caster is a non-wearing angle for your tires.

For the hate against RRO,well that is just a well known fact about them and there products/service.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks Troy, mind if I print that out for future reference?

I've heard RRO can be hit-n-miss but it has been hit for me, I called, placed an order and got the stuff, no issues here.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, nope. But if the turkeys that did it kept records..... I think they would be irrelevant anyways, put new shocks/springs in a week or so ago. It's going to a shop recommended by the dudes in my 4wheeling club for an alignment real soon.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump up the post count.

Alright, seems like forever ago that I did this.

Since then... left the 1/4" plates in place. Finally came to an agreement on the RRO parts, they suck hard. Got JBA 4.5s, way nicer parts. The alignment went AOK, carried out by the tech at the dealer who has done a bunch of KJs and he had it dialed in within 30min. Got the spec sheet too. Cam bolts look way better. Kinda mid range.

That was all last fall. Tripped across this when I got bored at work and decided to clean out my subscribed threads folder.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaned up this would make a good sticky ;)

Minus the berating ptsb at the beginning and making the Van Halen links stand out more.

Most Canadians have those boots from Cradle will Rock don't we?