cracked light bar housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed the mopar lightbar but I am an idiot and cracked the very left housing. A square piece(1/2 inch diagonal) fell off. It s right on the top where the clip should be. So now there is a small gap between the 2 pieces of the housing.:mad:

I am worried water might get in there and mess somethings up. Should I take this seriously and try to seal it? What kinda sealant should I use?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about that "black stuff" they seal windshields with. Windshield sealer. Fill the crack with it and wipe it off. Or black RTV maybe. That would be my first thought on sealing it.

Dave

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont worry about water getting in between the two housings.. theres a gap between the outer shell and the actually' light. some water will get in there regardless.. as long as your holes are primes, nutsertz are sealed and then just put sealant all over those bolts you should be good. even water under the lightbar is fine as long as it doesn't touch the bare metal. my lightbar actually flew off going sixty when i only had it 3M taped on.. cracked it a little and scratched it.

calbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea I did all the above for the holes so i should be safe. thanks for the info

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont worry about water getting in between the two housings.. theres a gap between the outer shell and the actually' light. some water will get in there regardless.. as long as your holes are primes, nutsertz are sealed and then just put sealant all over those bolts you should be good. even water under the lightbar is fine as long as it doesn't touch the bare metal. my lightbar actually flew off going sixty when i only had it 3M taped on.. cracked it a little and scratched it.

haha, why did you have a light bar taped to the top of your Jeep?? :confused:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was the right tape i bet it would have stayed! I have seen some 3M stuff they use for commercial radio equipment installs, lights on public safety vehicles, etc... That stuff has been through high speed collisions without movement.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was only a strip on each side and one or two in the middle of 3M automotive double sided fascia tape or something.. stuff that comes on a lightbar to begin with.
and yeah i thing the 60mph wind just got caught up in the lightbar and decided to take it with it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was only a strip on each side and one or two in the middle of 3M automotive double sided fascia tape or something.. stuff that comes on a lightbar to begin with.
and yeah i thing the 60mph wind just got caught up in the lightbar and decided to take it with it.

Oh that stuff is just temporary, plus if you don't prep the area its sticking to with some degreaser and alcohol and it won't stay.

I've helped guys put on body moldings and other aftermarket stuff with that gray foam type 3m molding tape, i swear you need a damn putty knife to get anything off you stick on with it, and then your left with adhesive left on both surfaces that you pretty much need to dissolve off there, or use one of those rubber eraser wheels chucked in a drill.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
i was scared to drill six holes. haha figured i could get away with 3M auto tape..

soo wrong

(rotflmao)

I can so relate to your dilemma though ...your a brave man for admitting that on a Jeep forum!:D

Last edited:

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(rotflmao)

I can so relate to your dilemma though ...your a brave man for admitting that on a Jeep forum!:D

haha thanks luke. and I guess the saying goes a jeeps not yours until you drill the first hole in it?

Last edited:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want it to look nice, go to an auto body supply shop. they do make glues and patch material that work on this kind of plastic