Coolant temp under heavy load & hi OAT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under normal conditions (no heavy load, no extreme outside air temps)
my scan gauge shows coolant temp to normally be ~204*. Towing a jet ski (~1300# ttl weight incl trlr) up a steep grade (6%) in ~90* outside air temps scan gauge will usually show coolant temp rising to ~210* to 215* occasionally.
Last wknd towing the ski up a steep (6%) grade with ~110* outside air temp my coolant temp rose to 225*. The temp went down as expected after the hill climb. No coolant was lost as the tank level had not changed upon arriving back home. Radiator, thermostat and h2o pump are one year old, and have never given any indication of issues.

My question is this (Tjkj feel free to chime in here). Is a 225* coolant temp under the above conditions abnormal? I realize the cooling system is pressurized and the boiling point of a say 50-50 coolant mix under that pressure is prolly up around 250*.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my scanguage my temp regularly gets around 218 at which point the electric fan kicks on. I've never seen my engine temp get over 205 when the a/c is running and the electric fan is constantly on. I've never towed a jet ski in 110 degree weather either. Actually I've never driven my jeep in anything over 105.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your fine.There can be a slight variation to temp sensors so a few degrees +/- of 219 degrees is fine for max temps.219 degrees is when the electric cooling fan turns on.The 195 degree t-stat does not fully open till 218 degrees.

Mine will reach 221-222 degrees when pushed real hard before cooling down.