Coolant Running Tempeture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karaus

Reaction score
Is this normal? Completly flushed my liberty a week ago and haven't heard the fan come on since. I have a 02 so had a clutch fan. It's 86 degrees outside. It's been idling hood up for 50 minutes. Gauge cluster shows engine temp at a needle mark under half. Upper radiator hose is 181 degrees, the lower hose reads 146 degrees. Normal? The electric radiator fan won't kick on. Is it just running that cool? It's hot out and been idling for nearly a hour. No air in the lines

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If recently flushed, it takes time to bleed the air out.
You should have to add a bit to the reservoir cold line, when cold, every morning for a few days.
Have you used the bleeder screw when at temp, to remove air?
If not, it sounds like the thermostat may be stuck in the open position, but then the engine light should come on, with a code, too long to warm up.
How did you flush? -You did use HOAT coolant right?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a thermostat that's stuck in the open position, either fully or somewhat. That'll keep the engine from reaching running temperature, or make it take a loooong time to get there. Perhaps your flush got chunks of crud stuck in the thermostat.

Karaus

Reaction score
FINALLY got the fan to come on. I've bled and added coolant a few times and drove it 50 miles. Shouldn't be any air, blows HOT air inside. I replaced the thermostat with a oem one. No engine light on, it just seems like it takes a while. But it does have a clutch fan, so that may the reason. I just thought that's a long delay.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The temp gauge in gas KJ's are dummy gauges,at the half mark the coolant temp is between 178 degrees and 229 degrees.

The electric fan(without AC on) will engage at 219 degrees(+/- a few degrees) and the mechanical clutch fan will not fully lock till 230 degrees.The t-stat is 195 degrees,starts to open at 195 degrees and fully opens at 218 degrees.

Latest posts

Members online