Coolant smell after flush?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a coolant flush done at the dealership on Saturday, they said the coolant looked very dirty, but that it was good to go. (I have not ever had the temp go above half, just did the flush for maintenance)

But now when I drive with the vent on, I get a faint smell of coolant out of the vents, the level has not dropped that I can notice, and there is no signs of coolant coming down the passenger dash/floor..

Any ideas?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be some left over residue burning off that you are getting a whiff of?
Try with a garden hose water to pour into intake area from below windshield, and check under hood for any left over coolant that could be washed away....
I know it is summer but try turning system on hot, fan on low and drive a while on hwy with windows down and see if you really notices the smell then...??
It could be a flush has exposed a leak, I hope that is not the case though.
If it continues pressure test system and see if it holds.....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a coolant flush done at the dealership on Saturday, they said the coolant looked very dirty, but that it was good to go. (I have not ever had the temp go above half, just did the flush for maintenance)

But now when I drive with the vent on, I get a faint smell of coolant out of the vents, the level has not dropped that I can notice, and there is no signs of coolant coming down the passenger dash/floor..

Any ideas?
If it has not gone away yet you may have a heater core starting to leak.

I've done a lot of heater cores the last few years after a flush has been done and when the vehicle had 5+ year old coolant in it,all makes and models not just Chrysler vehicles.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well on my way home from work, I ran with the windows closed and vent on "2" and it had the faint smell only when stopped at a light, and never did the windshield fog up.
Once home I washed her and checked for any signs of leaks and lightly hosed around the coolant tank, and then let her run for 15 minutes in the driveway and the smell seemed to disappear. I am guessing some coolant spilled/leaked during the process, and it was still burning off. I will keep an eye on it for the next few day and see if there any changes in the smell or coolant level.