Coolant leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will_K

Reaction score
I think it's a coolant leak of some sort - I am not as young as I used to be so my sense of smell isn't the greatest, but I could smell something and after a while on the 14 mile drive home it occurred to me that maybe what I smelt was coolant. It's also raining, so if I didn't smell it I wouldn't rule out rain splashing up into the engine compartment. But anyway when I got home I opened the hood and stared at things a bit and didn't see anything obvious. I didn't see an exploded hose or a single point where steam was coming out of anything. I didn't see any coolant in the coolant reservoir. And the whole drive the temperature gage was at half like normal. I did see that everything was wet.

I've got a trip to Ohio to do stuff for my mom all day tomorrow and I'll work on this Sunday, what are the likely candidates?

3.7l with over 270k miles and unknown history.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
small crack on the plastic sides of the radiator, crack in reservoir, bad rad cap, weeping water pump.

Rent a pressure tester kit from your LAPS to test your cooling system.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Consider having a jug of Hoat coolant with you, just in case.
When Jeep cools down overnight, check coolant level, to be at the cold line in tank/ see if it is down and need to add some?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can smell it inside with the windows up it's probably heater matrix.

Will_K

Reaction score
If you can smell it inside with the windows up it's probably heater matrix.
Well, I do suspect it's more likely engine compartment since everything in the engine compartment was wet... the alternator, water pooled on top of all the ignition coils, top of the intake wet...

Apparently the tkq pick a part salvage I'm toledo has higher prices than I'm used to in the Detroit area. I went in search of a mustang fuel pump and looked for parts I might need on the liberty, got a coolant tank, radiator, water pump, fan. It came to 150.

There was a nice set of headlights on one car, but it felt like I spent enough. It wouldn't have been more than 95 at my usual salvage yards. One of the liberty vehicles had aftermarket side steps.

Will_K

Reaction score
Ok so I bought coolant and uv dye and a pressure tester from harbor freight. Pour the dye in and run it to distribute it, but nothing is obvious. The splatter is boiling off on the exhaust. Engine reaches temperature but I can't find anything with the uv light. I do notice the water pump pulley wobbling in and out and 1/4 inch of worn pulley paint shows outside the serpentine belt. It's probably obvious, but it would be nice to be sure.

Hf Pittsburgh pressure test costs less than their other brand. But no Chrysler adapter. 5:50 sunday I can't get there before close, so OReilly for rental. It goes right on without an adapter.

I pump a little and see no pressure rise. Hmmm... pump faster, and water ****** out from under the water pump pulley.

I'm replacing thermostat while I'm at it. The coolant is the most expensive part of the project.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I bought coolant and uv dye and a pressure tester from harbor freight. Pour the dye in and run it to distribute it, but nothing is obvious. The splatter is boiling off on the exhaust. Engine reaches temperature but I can't find anything with the uv light. I do notice the water pump pulley wobbling in and out and 1/4 inch of worn pulley paint shows outside the serpentine belt. It's probably obvious, but it would be nice to be sure.

Hf Pittsburgh pressure test costs less than their other brand. But no Chrysler adapter. 5:50 sunday I can't get there before close, so OReilly for rental. It goes right on without an adapter.

I pump a little and see no pressure rise. Hmmm... pump faster, and water ****** out from under the water pump pulley.

I'm replacing thermostat while I'm at it. The coolant is the most expensive part of the project.
Sounds like you found it!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good that you found the leak!
Be sure that you ONLY use Mopar Hoat Coolant or at wallmart - Zerex G05 (which is Hoat coolant)

joshcsmith13

Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question, but did you have to replace the water pump? @Will_K ?
@Will_K

My son's 02 liberty was running fine, burning a little oil, but no leaks, and then one day there was a large spot of antifreeze on the driveway. He came home the other day and said it smelled like a campfire while he was driving. It doesn't look like he's using much more oil but the coolant reservoir was almost empty, And there's a ton of gunky moisture near the lower front driver side of the engine.

Latest posts

Members online