Coolant leak. Water pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frankjc

Reaction score
Noticed a puddle of coolant on the ground, under the harmonic balancer, which has drips on it. Water pump pulley seems tight, I can't really see behind it and it doesn't feel wet when I stick my hand in there. Anything else I should be looking at?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes so check around the waterpump gasket, also remove the belt & check pulley bearing for play.
You could pressure test the system to possibly see the leak better.
There also is a weap hole.
Either way a new water pump preferably Mopar or Napa is needed. FSM states use a gasket as well, it's seen in video below.
Here is a good video to help with replacement. https://www.1aauto.com/how-to-replace-engine-water-pump-02-13-jeep-liberty/video/672

Reaction score
Yes, I would suspect your water pump. When the gasket on mine failed, it pooled directly in the center of the car and down the harmonic balancer.

When I replaced mine, I removed old pump and gasket, cleaned the timing cover mating surface for the pump with scotch bright, then bolted down a new pump and gasket.

A recommendation id make is get a piece of cardboard and draw a water pump on it, then as you remove bolts, pierce them through the cardboard so you keep track of where they go. There are a few different length bolts.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weep hole is on top if pump behind pulley, shouldn't be to tuff to see it.

frankjc

Reaction score
Looks like the same part number I have replaced twice, once on a 2010 WK, and once on a 2004 WJ V8.

Last edited:

frankjc

Reaction score
Looks like mine is only leaking when it gets very cold. Drove it to work today, crawled under it, it was dry. Went out an hour later, still nothing. Brought it in the shop, me and a couple other guys looked at it, no signs of the water pump leaking (there are oil leaks). The weep hole is dry. My plan now is to bring it in the shop (I work at a dealership, in parts) when I know it's leaking. Or maybe pressure test it. We couldn't do that tonight because we ran out of time. Good thing I brought it in there tonight, I also figured out what the clunking noise is....the rear lower trailing arm on the driver's side rusted and broke off. I'll buy one tomorrow and replace it.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that too, could only find a puddle at the weep when below freezing.

frankjc

Reaction score
Nothing comes up for the recall. I searched on google and all i saw was 2006-2007

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It may be regional or rust belt area related.
My 04 has a recall notification but I pressed in new bushings and just ignored dealer.
Double check and call the dealer.

frankjc

Reaction score
It was like that for a while. She complained of a clunking noise. I put it on a lift at work and we saw that it was broken. The new arm only cost me $54 at the dealership. Hope it lasts more than 8 years.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Give it an additional coat of rust paint. Really you should replace them both as a pair.
Main reason is that beside the rust issue, is the fact the bushing inside wear/crack and can cause issues in drive ability.
Often the jeep can jump to the left or right when gas is applied, if the bushings are toast.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Damn! I really hope that didn't snap off while driving.
Yes no kidding if it was broken while driving, I was imagining if the rear spring could also fly away & cause even more damage. I guess the shock held it in place.

frankjc

Reaction score
it was actually more stable than you'd think. definitely didn't ride right when it was broken, but there is an upper arm behind the axle, and one that goes across from above the axle. not safe with the arm broken, but that's what kept it from falling apart.

Reaction score
it was actually more stable than you'd think. definitely didn't ride right when it was broken, but there is an upper arm behind the axle, and one that goes across from above the axle. not safe with the arm broken, but that's what kept it from falling apart.

Very lucky. Did you replace both at the same time? Or did you only replace the broken one?

frankjc

Reaction score
Back to this leak. Never figured it out. Seemed to go away over the summer. Now it seems like it drips when sitting over night, when it gets cold out. There is a drip on the lower water pump bolt. There is also some crusty residue around the threads of the coolant temp sensor. The weep hole is clean and dry. Im suspecting 2 things. Water pump gasket, and coolant temp sensor leak. We drove the car today, did some shopping, and there was no drip under the car. She has a warranty that will cover the water pump, but not the sensor. I may change the sensor and see how much different it makes. Anyone know how to disconnect the plug on the sensor?