Coolant flow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying the hammer and socket method won't work.. that's the only way I did it for years. But then the day came when my boss handed me a press to get the joints off a Silverados driveshaft that had the joints jammed in one side of the yoke when his driveshaft came flying off lol.

And I'll tell ya, life changing moment when I realized just how easy it was to get those stubborn son's a guns off. It was like 4 turns of the wrist vs. 50 strikes of the hammer.
Although, if you don't make sure it's completely straight on with the end caps of the joint, you can widen out the openings on the yokes and keep the new u joints from properly seating and cause plenty of vibrations.
But then again, this same error can be accomplished if you hammer the u joints in off center, so it's all in the tech...

Just kind of a ...Really... moment when the guy said that to me in AZ. Like bruh, you sell the parts for the job, and can't even correctly do that... but you want to give me advice on the install? And tell me I can't use something I've done a hundred times lol.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I replace these things will I uncover deeper problems? I fear that replacing the thermostat will cause the engine to overheat. Right now the only problem I have is no heat and I'm kind of thinking maybe I should leave things the way they are for the time being. What would be the consequences of leaving it the way it is? I bought this jeep dirt cheap so I'm sure there are other underlying issues. There is an oil leak of unknown origin which leads me to believe that perhaps I may have some head problems that would show up after replacing the thermostat. What would you do in this situation?

The consequences of leaving it? Would be having to buy a new engine lol.
Our engines are NOT fans of running without coolant. All it takes is one good overheat to throw a rocker, drop a valve and Crack a piston.
What would I do I this situation? I would stop driving the Jeep without coolant in the radiator lol.. even if it's a DD, the problem has got to be fixed asap, or you'll be posting about a much more expensive problem shortly..
Better to go a few days without your DD, than to lose it forever.. no?

That being said, any problem is fixable. If you want to look for your oil leak, we can help to figure that out as well.

You'd have much scarier issues if your heads were going bad.. You say you're leaking oil, but if your heads were bad.. even with the leak, your oil level would Rise. Because there would be coolant being added at all times, thus raising the oil and dropping the coolant level.

Also, leaking oil isn't a sure sign of bad heads.. if anything oil consumption would be. I mean, I'm pretty sure that 99% of the liberties on the road have had to change their valve cover gaskets, so that would be the first place I checked for the leak.

If you want to know for sure that your heads are good or bad, check your oil dipstick and look at the bottom for milky fluid. You can also drain some of the oil from the pan to see what it looks like. If the Jeep has been sitting still, the oil in the pan will float on top of the coolant and when you drain some out....if there's coolant, it should be the first thing to come out.

Don't listen to your temperature gauge over diagnostics.. your gauge is a liar lol. Especially if it does not change from running your radiator dry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online