Cold weather struggles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so last night I was moving vehicles around in my driveway and I pulled the jeep out and while I was pulling it back into the driveway it died. I tried restarting it and it would turn over and immediately die again. Battery and starter are a non issue as the problem persisted even while jumpstarting it.

Now this morning it started up and I let it warm up for a good 15 minutes before attempting to move it. As soon as I shifted into reverse it died again.

What could possibly cause this as I'm stumped. Last night I was thinking something was frozen since it only ran for 3 minutes before dying. But clearly that's not the problem since it was pretty much fully warmed up before I shifted it.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it shut down as though you turned it off with the key? Or does it shut down like it's running out of fuel or having ignition issues?

I ask because if it shuts down like you turned the key then I would suspect a sensor is going bad - not sure which one but I had issues recently with the crank position sensor. When the engine died it shut down instantly with no warning. I've had other instances where it was fuel or ignition system related and it would shudder or give a warning that it was about to quit.

Let us know...

Bob

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shuts down like its running out of fuel but it definitely is not I have at least 14 gallons of gas in the tank and I had it warmed up for about 20 minutes before shifting. Before my buddy picked me up for the gym about an hour later I was able to start it up and move it up and down the driveway under its own power without it shutting down. So before I head into work I'm going to let it warm up and take it on a little drive to see if I have any other issues. Will keep you all posted

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try warming it up in neutral. If it's OK then try to shift into a gear. That may give more information if it's a load issue on the ******.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One question, had you just filled it with gas prior to this? You may have gotten some moisture in the fuel system.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filled it up Saturday or Sunday maybe Friday is my best guess. I have it warming up right now. And it doesn't just cut off it's a mixture of stalling ad cutting off.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe try something like this and see if it helps

You must be registered for see images attach

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he had gas line freeze, the engine wouldn't start at all. Those gas antifreeze products are basically isopropyl alcohol, which absorbs water. Our E10 gas already has 10% alcohol in it that does the same thing. If you're in an area that sells real gas, then that's a different story. Alcohols mix with water and with gas, think of it as a bonding agent. Many years ago when gas was gas (no alcohol) I did get gas line freeze, and adding HEET did the trick. Ever since E10, it never happened again.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? Because we had it happen 3 times last year to my wife's car. She's a little more picky over where she buys gas now.
And I understand what your saying and that is how it should work but based on experience I think it accumulates in the filter for some reason and may freeze or slush in certain conditions causing fuel starvation.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? Because we had it happen 3 times last year to my wife's car. She's a little more picky over where she buys gas now.

Which suggests that you may have some unscrupulous gas stations that are dumping water into their tanks, and over-saturating the "moisture" limits.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a slight difference between having moisture in your tank vs a bucket of water! ;)

Hers was weird wouldn't lose power as long as she was on flat ground. As soon as she would start up a mountain it would start sputtering and barely run. Put a bottle of dry gas in it and let it run for just a minute and no more problem.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not clear on how screwed up gas could allow him to idle in the driveway for fifteen minutes, though. :think:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not clear on how screwed up gas could allow him to idle in the driveway for fifteen minutes, though. :think:

That's what I'm saying. I was able to idle it and drive around a bit before heading into work and no problems. I just drove home and am on break right now and still no issues. Hopefully it won't act up again as it's due to be getting cold again tonight. Not quite so cold as last night (8*F) but still pretty darn cold

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it's fixed for you. I didn't understand how my wife could drive hers for 20 miles on the highway with no problem then it would occur when it went up hill. We had it towed to BMW the first time at great expense to find out what it was. What you posted just sounded really familiar. If it acts up again I'd try it it's a $5 fix that won't hurt anything.