Cold weather struggles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it's fixed for you. I didn't understand how my wife could drive hers for 20 miles on the highway with no problem then it would occur when it went up hill. We had it towed to BMW the first time at great expense to find out what it was. What you posted just sounded really familiar. If it acts up again I'd try it it's a $5 fix that won't hurt anything.

This is also true if it happens again I will definitely try this out.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Three things also come to mind. The IAC controls the idle and the rpm may drop when dropping into a gear enough for it to stall, and the plunger may be sticking inside the IAC. Cleaning it and inside ports may help there.
Also I would want to know what the fuel pressure reading is, by throwing a pressure gauge onto the fuel rail, noting specs and see how much it drops when turned off.
I have not heard much about problematic fuel pressure regulators in the KJ, but I think that one's back in the tank along with the pump.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A sticking IAC valve or the EGR valve will cause symptons like those described and can be influanced by the cold. A half clogged dirty fuel filter can also wax up with ice and cause a similar issue with an inadequate fuel flow to the fuel rail.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try feathering the gas pedal to give it more throttle as you put the trans in gear. When the throttle blade in the throttle body starts to open, the IAC (idle circuit) is no longer part of the equation.