Clutch fan question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A KJ is different then a WJ,The KJ has a 195 degree t-stat and there is no different ones for it.The 195 degree t-stat does not fully open till 218 degrees so temps of 220 in a KJ are acceptable.

I don't understand KJs yet but obviously you do, so if you say it won't work then I'm not going to do it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand KJs yet but obviously you do, so if you say it won't work then I'm not going to do it.
If you want extra cooling then by all means add the mechanical fan.The whole kit with a new shroud,electric fan,and mechanical fan is only $250,well worth it.Then you can sell your old electric fan and get some money back,say at least $100 so you only really paid about $150 for both new fans.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the mechanical fan since I have the Sport Tow package.. but it's awfully noisy. Has anyone dumped the mechanical fan or found a better aftermarket clutch to quite this thing down on the highway... It sure doesn't seem like the stock mechanical clutch actually disengages...

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the mechanical fan since I have the Sport Tow package.. but it's awfully noisy. Has anyone dumped the mechanical fan or found a better aftermarket clutch to quite this thing down on the highway... It sure doesn't seem like the stock mechanical clutch actually disengages...

That souldn't be happening. Maybe your clutch is seized? Anyway, you could easily remove the clutch fan. The fan screws right onto the water pump shaft (the shaft is threaded), just get a channel lock or locking plier and unscrew it.