Clutch fan question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I bought a used KJ about a month ago (some of you may remember the should I buy it thread).

The E-fans and fan relays always go out on the WJs so I installed a mechanical fan on mine http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483613

I know that you can install a mechanical fan on a KJ but I need the part number for the fan blades. Can someone please give me the P/N?

FYI this jeep will go to hell and back so it has to have a reliable cooling system.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a different electric fan on the libertys that come with the mechanical fan. Here is the part number for the kit:

Part # 82206937 $249.00

You must be registered for see images

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
There is a different electric fan on the libertys that come with the mechanical fan. Here is the part number for the kit:

How is there both an electric fan, and mechanical one, or is there? Your post suggests that there IS an electric fan also, on ones with an electric one too? Mine is all electric, one big fan under the shroud...

If you were to go Mech, then a clutched one is the way to go...

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeepjeepster is very much correct.

Two fans in the HD cooling package:

1 Electrical fan next to the radiator
1 Mechanically driven fan behind the electrical fan

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All KJ's come with the electric fan standard.If you do not have the electric fan your KJ has been wrecked and they went cheap.The mechanical fan is not designed to cool the KJ alone by the way.

JMSMN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much power is lost with the addition of the mechanical fan, and is it worth the sacrafice.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one more time
mechanical fans are almost fail proof but are limited by engine speed
thus out on the trail turning 1500 rpm they move less air than a "GOOD" electrical fan
a "GOOD" electric fan will pull the same air at 1000 rpm or 5000 rpm ,engine speed

put it like this
I had some slight over heating issues with my TJ
replaced darn near every thing on the cooling system
all I kept were fan blades and fan shroud yet I still could not run the trails with the AC on in the summer ,south Louisiana, with out getting hotter than I liked
I installed a small ,10", pusher fan in front of the rad. and problem solved
that is because when I am creeping up a hill and working the engine but not moving any air the electric fan is moving what the mechanical fan is not

now granted the TJ is running a Tummy tucker which limits some air flow
but no more than a winch hanging out up there
and I do have an auto but I have an external cooler for it
it is only running 31's with 3" of lift on 3.73 gears so tire size is not the problem

If you have a mechanical then keep it and back it up with a small electric
if you have only electric and want better cooling then your money is better spent on a bigger STRONGER electric fan
my .02

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
??? The mechanical fan on my WJ pulls more air than the E-fan ever could. Is there something different about the KJ mechanical fans?
Yeah but the mechanical fan blades for the HD cooling package for the KJ does not,it just aids low speed cooling in conjunction with the electric fan.The clutch is also set at a very high temp so it does not engage unless you are running pretty hot already.This does not include the CRD's.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but the mechanical fan blades for the HD cooling package for the KJ does not,it just aids low speed cooling in conjunction with the electric fan.The clutch is also set at a very high temp so it does not engage unless you are running pretty hot already.This does not include the CRD's.

Hmm... what if I piece my own fan system together? The fan clutch P/N is the same for the KJ and the WJ so I got the fan clutch thing figgured out http://www.autozone.com/R,3195298/v...partType,00118/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

All I need is to get the bigger fan shroud and some good fan blades.

What do you think?
You must be registered for see images attach

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... what if I piece my own fan system together? The fan clutch P/N is the same for the KJ and the WJ so I got the fan clutch thing figgured out http://www.autozone.com/R,3195298/v...partType,00118/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

All I need is to get the bigger fan shroud and some good fan blades.

What do you think?
You must be registered for see images attach
The correct fan shroud to run a mechasnical fan on a KJ requires and different electric fan also.The pic above with the part# is the best deal you will find that comes with all the correct parts since if ordered separately the electric fan alone is over $300.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The correct fan shroud to run a mechasnical fan on a KJ requires and different electric fan also.The pic above with the part# is the best deal you will find that comes with all the correct parts since if ordered separately the electric fan alone is over $300.

I will run it without the E-fan, that's the entire reason I want the mechanical fan. Plus it's cheaper for my to buy the bigger fan shroud for $30, the fan clutch for $60, and better blades for +-$90.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will run it without the E-fan, that's the entire reason I want the mechanical fan. Plus it's cheaper for my to buy the bigger fan shroud for $30, the fan clutch for $60, and better blades for +-$90.
You certainly can do what you want but have fun overheating without the electric fan and having the loss of power and mpg's.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You certainly can do what you want but have fun overheating without the electric fan and having the loss of power and mpg's.

Are you talking about mechanical fans in general?

Anyway here is some first hand experience with my WJ's mechanical fan:

In Florida we have allot of hot weather, humidity, sand, and mud. On one of my favorite wheeling spots there is a BIG sand dune, I have to be in 4lo, second, and have my foot to the floor to get up that because the sand is so thick (and that's if I don't bog down!). With the E-fan I used to get the temp gauge to around 220 (2001 WJ, 42RE, 4.0L, 180 T-stat). With the mechanical fan I can't even get the temp gauge to move slightly to the right! That's enough proof to me that the mechanical fan is better than the E-fan.

Also, don't all tractor-trailers have mechanical fans?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, all coal trucks around here have mechanical fans. Things are loud as heck on strip jobs, cant even talk to the guy beside of me when they go by.

You may already have the bigger shroud. My 04 kj has it but idk when they started putting them on all kj's. May of been when they switched from the 45rfe to the 42rle.

I think tjkj is saying the mechanical fan on the kj is not made to pull enough CFM's to keep the engine/****** cool on its own. Other than the clutch having a high temp kick in, the blades may not have enough pitch.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
one more time
mechanical fans are almost fail proof but are limited by engine speed
thus out on the trail turning 1500 rpm they move less air than a "GOOD" electrical fan
a "GOOD" electric fan will pull the same air at 1000 rpm or 5000 rpm ,engine speed

put it like this
I had some slight over heating issues with my TJ
replaced darn near every thing on the cooling system
all I kept were fan blades and fan shroud yet I still could not run the trails with the AC on in the summer ,south Louisiana, with out getting hotter than I liked
I installed a small ,10", pusher fan in front of the rad. and problem solved
that is because when I am creeping up a hill and working the engine but not moving any air the electric fan is moving what the mechanical fan is not

now granted the TJ is running a Tummy tucker which limits some air flow
but no more than a winch hanging out up there
and I do have an auto but I have an external cooler for it
it is only running 31's with 3" of lift on 3.73 gears so tire size is not the problem

If you have a mechanical then keep it and back it up with a small electric
if you have only electric and want better cooling then your money is better spent on a bigger STRONGER electric fan
my .02

What diameter and what CFM electric auxiliary fan would you suggest to mount to the front of the radiator for pulling a 3600 lbs travel trailer?
Or would a mechanical fan in addition to the stock electric fan be better for that application?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Dude, you're um... gonna need both fans if you want the mechanical one.

Imagine, hot summer. Stuck in traffic. In a KJ. (Luckily it wasn't mine) I mean gridlock. So here I am, driving this KJ. Thinking everything's alright, road is blocked off. (Which would explain gridlock!) 100ºF outside, I'm praying and hoping the A/C is enough to cool me off. So waiting and waiting... A/C finally helps. But there's another problem, I looked down on the temp gauge, and it's frickin creeping over into hot. I'm like WTF, the Liberty has a great cooling system, exactly WHAT is going on here, and this one having the towing package, this just should not be happening!

So I turn off the A/C... temp goes down a lil bit. This doesn't satisfy me so I did the unthinkable... I turned on the heat. :( You can imagine how pissed off I am now. This worked enough so that I could limp... slowly to the garage.

Got to my destination (the garage)... looked under the hood. Besides being hot under there, I noticed nothing out of the ordinary until I checked one thing...

The Electric Fan was dead. I mean absolutely dead. When I tried to spin it with my hand, it was really difficult, usually pretty easy. This had to be the reason for the overheating. I wonder if the owner knew about this? I sure hope so. Maybe she figured we wouldn't so she could get her car fixed? ;)

Anywho... I said all that to say this...

You need the electric fan.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What diameter and what CFM electric auxiliary fan would you suggest to mount to the front of the radiator for pulling a 3600 lbs travel trailer?
Or would a mechanical fan in addition to the stock electric fan be better for that application?

I would just put a cheep 10" pusher out front
but then again I have never had over heating issues with the KJ
even flat towing a YJ on 35's ,that is close to 4000# and way more tire than a trailer

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about mechanical fans in general?

Anyway here is some first hand experience with my WJ's mechanical fan:

In Florida we have allot of hot weather, humidity, sand, and mud. On one of my favorite wheeling spots there is a BIG sand dune, I have to be in 4lo, second, and have my foot to the floor to get up that because the sand is so thick (and that's if I don't bog down!). With the E-fan I used to get the temp gauge to around 220 (2001 WJ, 42RE, 4.0L, 180 T-stat). With the mechanical fan I can't even get the temp gauge to move slightly to the right! That's enough proof to me that the mechanical fan is better than the E-fan.

Also, don't all tractor-trailers have mechanical fans?
A KJ is different then a WJ,The KJ has a 195 degree t-stat and there is no different ones for it.The 195 degree t-stat does not fully open till 218 degrees so temps of 220 in a KJ are acceptable.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I would just put a cheep 10" pusher out front
but then again I have never had over heating issues with the KJ
even flat towing a YJ on 35's ,that is close to 4000# and way more tire than a trailer

Just a 10 inch eh?
Here Im thinking of making an elaborate ducting shroud from the grill to the front of the rad and mounting a 24 inch pusher.

Latest posts

Members online