Clunks version 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattw

Reaction score
So just replaced a bunch of stuff and am still getting a clunk going over bumps (sounds like right front, but could be more center). It's a ton better than it was before, but want to find this one last noise.

Here's what I just replaced:

Upper Control Arms
All LCA bushings
Lower ball joints
Outer tie rods
Front shocks/coil overs
Rear shocks and springs

I've driven with stabalizer links disconnected and kncok/clunk remains.

Any ideas on where to keep looking? All the things I replaced needed it anyway (02 2WD with 200,000 on Jeep, just popped in a reman engine). I'd really like to stop the noises in this Jeep. I've had it at the local suspension shop and they couldn't locate the source of the noises either.

I will tell you it is pretty depressing to spend so much time replacing all these parts only to test drive and still hear a clunk.... :icon_twisted:

mattw

Reaction score
No front diff...2wd. Will check rack and pinion bushings and retorque everything.

Yes, alignment was done. Will realign in 2-3 weeks when springs settle

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I fitted my JBA lift, the place that fitted the front springs to the shocks for me did not do up the top nut fully on the shock.

motmcd

Reaction score
I had an illusive, annoying "clunking" sound in my '02 Liberty since it was new. The dealer never found it and every year at inspection I'd ask the mechanic to noodle around while my Liberty was on the lift, and no one ever found that clunk. So, it's time to change the fuel filter (just last year). I notice the EVAP canister is a bit loose in its harness and make a point of packing rubber shims around the canister before reinstalling the gas tank. Go figure!!! No more clunking noise.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.