Clunk when in Full Time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spta97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been snowy here so my gf has had her 06 Liberty in Full Time.

I filled it up yesterday (because the gas tank won't stop when full and spills out and it is not covered under the recall...grr) and I noticed a clunk sound when going forward or reverse from a stop.

She says it always does that when in 4 wd, but it didn't sound normal to me.

I took it out of full time and put it in 2wd and the clunk stopped.

Any idea what this could be? U-joints?

She's got about 80k on the odo.

Thanks!

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where does the clunk seem to be coming from front back?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the upper control arm bushings and ball joint. Can clunk if worn.

spta97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to fix this, check out HOW TO: fix the KJ fuel burp plague. Works perfectly!

Thanks for the link! I read one post that said you can no longer pump full speed - is that the case with you? I'm not sure which is worse.

I've prevented the problem by slowing the fill rate at the last 1-2 gallons and that seems to stop it. I would rather do that then have the stopping issue.

Edit - looks like that was you who made the comment about not being able to pump full speed.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a CV joint at the transfer case end of the front driveshaft (runs parallel to the transmission.) That joint is a known wear item that creates all kinds of noises - grinding, clicking, clunking, humming - and it's a pretty easy fix. Only costs about $50 for the CV joint kit.

As CactusJacked said above, there is no stress on the CV joint in 2WD but in 4WD it's likely the clunking is coming from looseness in the joint.

Check out the CV joint replacement kit here.

Bob

Members online

No members online now.