clunk help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i did the steering rack bushing bandaid....my steering doesnt wander anymore but the nasty clunk over bumps or when i stand in the door and rock the jeep is still there...hmmmm

loosened and retightened
- both control arms
-both coilover assembly mounts
-both end links

checked cvs, made sure ball joints upper and lower and all clevis bolts were tight and torqued to spec

no visible signs in motor mounts

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What happens if you're going like 5-10MPH and you hit the brakes mildly hard for a sec? Does it clunk then?

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens if you're going like 5-10MPH and you hit the brakes mildly hard for a sec? Does it clunk then?

well i took it for a drive and re torqued the rack bolts and also the end link bolts and all fixed for now, plus you inspired me to bandaid the steering rack and my mystery wander is gone! Thanks for all of your help Hoosier !

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome that it's all fixed! So that clunk is gone? Good about the wandering too. Might have to re band aid it every few months, but it's easier than a new rack. Did it un center your steering wheel? It did that to mine until I got it realigned.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome that it's all fixed! So that clunk is gone? Good about the wandering too. Might have to re band aid it every few months, but it's easier than a new rack. Did it un center your steering wheel? It did that to mine until I got it realigned.

yeah its gone, not sure if it was an end link or the rack, feels nice to have solid steering again. It made the steering wheel off a tiny tiny bit but im due for an alignment anyway

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How many rubber washers did you use over/under the bushing? I think did 3 on top and 1 below. If you put the same amount under the passenger side one it'd probably straighten back out.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used 2 on top and 2 bottom, i had to take the passenger bolt out to fit the 2 between the rack and the frame

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
non on passenger side, that bushing was in perfect shape. Once the driver side was torqued down it sits pretty level