clunk help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so ive got a new clunk, thought it was the cv again but isnt.
its the worse between 20-45 mph when hitting sharper or more harch bumps.

i tightened everything i could think of, tried to shake it around and listen, pushed and pulled on anything i could think of and nothing. So i took it to the shop and they couldnt find it either. Any suggestions would be great

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so ive got a new clunk, thought it was the cv again but isnt.
its the worse between 20-45 mph when hitting sharper or more harch bumps.

i tightened everything i could think of, tried to shake it around and listen, pushed and pulled on anything i could think of and nothing. So i took it to the shop and they couldnt find it either. Any suggestions would be great
Check the rear shocks. Had this issue. The bushing came apart on the top

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the rear shocks. Had this issue. The bushing came apart on the top

thanks ill check, but its definetly from the front. I can feel the clunk under my feet almost. If i rock it by turning the steering wheel back and forth rapidly i can get it to clunk too

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks ill check, but its definetly from the front. I can feel the clunk under my feet almost. If i rock it by turning the steering wheel back and forth rapidly i can get it to clunk too
Oh okay. You never mentioned that.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upper control arm bushings

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upper control arm bushings

yep just loosened and re tightened those and the coilover mount assembly. about to go test drive.

for more specifics, definitely from front

LCA bushings, sway bar bushings and end links, LBJ's, JBA UCA's , cv's, int shaft bearings and seals all less than a year old.

springs, shocks, front mounts and isolators all about 1 1/2 years old

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing is the front differential Mount bushings. Only thing is if those are bad. They have been discontinued. Know one makes them or has any that anyone has been able to find.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing is the front differential Mount bushings. Only thing is if those are bad. They have been discontinued. Know one makes them or has any that anyone has been able to find.

PS rack bushings are also a possible culprit

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS rack bushings are also a possible culprit

was able to jump up and down on the jeep and consistantly reproduce the sound. so i had my 82 year old neighbor listen and he said it sounded like it was coming from there **points to power steering rack

the passenger side bushings looks decent but the dirver side has always been pretty blown out. Might also explain my wandering problem

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2.

Sounds steering related. Can you feel it in the brake pedal? When my rack got really bad I could feel a pop in the steering wheel when making any turn as I turned the wheel and was noticeable in the floor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqS-pA1QeF8

Sound like that?

First step is check the torque on them. Should be 120 fl/lbs. Then if it's bad, I'm guessing the driver's bushing is shot. Search for "Steering rack band aid" on here, you can shim it up with some rubber washers. If yours is pretty minor I'm thinking it'll work.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2.

Sounds steering related. Can you feel it in the brake pedal? When my rack got really bad I could feel a pop in the steering wheel when making any turn as I turned the wheel and was noticeable in the floor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqS-pA1QeF8

Sound like that?

First step is check the torque on them. Should be 120 fl/lbs. Then if it's bad, I'm guessing the driver's bushing is shot. Search for "Steering rack band aid" on here, you can shim it up with some rubber washers. If yours is pretty minor I'm thinking it'll work.

no noise when turning the wheel like your video. I can feel it in the break pedal and basically right under my feet. It doesnt seem to matter if im turning or not, its just a loud noticeable pop/clunk when hitting dips, bumps, or if i bounce up and down on the jeep.

steering has been feeling loose for a bit now and it wanders

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It might not be bad enough yet to do what mine did. I'd check the torque on them and/or do the bandaid. Although that play is likely more internal to the rack. Check the tie rods too.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might not be bad enough yet to do what mine did. I'd check the torque on them and/or do the bandaid. Although that play is likely more internal to the rack. Check the tie rods too.

torque was good on them, the driver side bushing is pretty bad just looking at it though. I loosened and retightened a few other things also so gonna see what it does on the drive to work tomorrow.

If the noise is still there ill try the bandaid and if that helps ill order a new ps rack soon after

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How many miles do you have on yours?

Replaced mine at about 160k and my guess is that it was on death row since about 120-130k LOL

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles do you have on yours?

Replaced mine at about 160k and my guess is that it was on death row since about 120-130k LOL

a hair over 95K. A few months ago it developed a wander that i have yet to solve

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Damn. That's kinda low mileage. See if the tie rods have play and if they don't, well I think you know the answer. :(

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going to try and get a good look at the motor mounts today also, dont think it would cause the big pop i feel and the idle isnt ruff but you never know

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same deal here. Pretty sure it's my rack. The whole thing needs to be replaced so for now, I'm ignoring it until the weather gets warmer.

Dorian_M

Reaction score
I believe I had a similar problem, when I turned the wheel back and forth my friend heard a knocking. It turns out a bushing for the steering rack was gone. We replaced both bushings and the problem was solved.